Two pics I'm happy with!

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Usually my point-and-shoot camera and my minimal photography skills yield so-so pictures of my layout. These two were happy accidents, or hopefully an example of practice makes perfect...or better, at least. :)

The first is of my new locomotive servicing area at Kings Port with a good look at that city's industry in the background. The engine house used to be a factory but I found that I rarely switched cars to it and its location (near a yard) was better suited for an engine area anyway.

I originally took this photo for the "Show us your F units" thread but liked this one for a thread of its own. I'm pleased with the way the units are lined up.

Attachments

• nice1.jpg
    nice1.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 199

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
The second shot is an ariel view of West Mill, on the opposite side of the layout. The engine yard used to be located right next to the carfloat but I decided to use those tracks as a yard for the car float operation which makes more sense visually and operationally. The "Robert H." named after my father inlaw who loved watching barges and tugs on the Mississippi is shoving the float into the arpon for unloading. Hudson Cement looms in the background.

Attachments

• nice2.jpg
    nice2.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 184

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Hey - I'd be happy with those shots too. Very nice work Ralph. I like those pilings in the water with the high tide discoloration.

What's a MN guy doing modeling PC???

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
NICE SHOTS RALPH!!!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: BTW Ralph, your layout looks FANTASTIC!:thumb::thumb::thumb: :D -Deano

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
And well you should be happy with those pictures, Ralph, they both look great.:thumb: It's nice to see some truly "railroad-size" industries like your cement plant. And your steel mill complex has some elements that bear a strong resemblance to the one where I used to work. Great pictures, and great modelling too!

Wayne

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
Great shots, Ralph. I especially like the first one, it has lots of atmosphere. It looks like some vintage photography of real industrial scenes.. :thumb: :thumb: