Two Locos

Discussion in 'Weathering Forum' started by Smoke, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Smoke

Smoke SOU is for you!!

The SP GP60 was done using mostly chalks and weathering powders. The Santa Fe SD40-2 was done using mostly oils.

2. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

Very nice work. May I ask what brands chalks, powders, and oils did you use? And could you give a description of the techniques employed? (Given the detailing of the engines - I'm guessing they're HO?) I like the very subtle shading the SP unit has, it looks like it's spent a long time on the road...the SF unit looks like it's spent a lot of time doing yard work with its grimey grey/black weathering. The rock you show in the pictures have a lot of rusty red...any thought to adding that color to the snow plow and lower body area? The right side shot of the SF front truck is my favorite...I really like the various colors on the sideface. It makes the "E M" welded lettering pop out. Really nice job!
  3. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

Once again, GREAT work Smoke :thumb: :thumb:
  4. Dan85

Dan85 Member

Those look great!

- Dan
  5. Smoke

Smoke SOU is for you!!

The chalks I use are from Michaels craft stores. I have a set of 24 chalks. not sure whomakes my weathering powders, but they are mostly the same. I use Windsor and Newton oils, thinned with oderless mineral spirits.

When I use chalks on a locomotive you have to have a dull finish for the chalks to stick. Take a couple chalks and make piles of chalks. use an X-acto knife to scrape at the chalks to get powder. once you have powder from the chalks take a brush and dip it into the chalks. then brush onto the locomotive. If you want heavier weathering apply multiple coats of chalks.

Most of the oils on the SF unit were done with dry brushing. The trucks were done with gouache and oils.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

6. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

Again let me say what a nice job on both engines. :thumb:

I use chalks almost exclusively for my Nscale equipment, mainly because it's easier to get the fine details of the engines/cars to show through after a fine dusting, but can't think of where I got mine (probably Target). I tried dry brushing only once, and clearly didn't have the knack for it, and found it imparted too much paint to the Nscale surface and left unsightly brush strokes. I've read that a light spray of hairspray or windex can dull down the existing paint and help hold the chalks in place. Of course you can use dull coat...but I'm a big fan of using what you have around the house instead of putting a lot of money into specialty products whenever possible. :cool: