Two Giant Thumbs Up For RMT Customer Service!

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Cannonball, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

I have been having trouble getting my Beep's reverse to work correctly. Out of curiousity I called RMT's customer service to see if they could give me any ideas as to why. When I told him I was using a CW-80 transformer, he immediately knew what the problem was. He explained that when you shut the throttle down, the power does not go all the way off and it doesn't let the Beep cycle through it's forward reverse and neutral properly. In order to drain that last little bit of power, he suggested hooking up a light or some other accessory directly to a CTC Lockon on the track rather than to the transformer.

He also told me how to check and make sure it wasn't the Beep malfunctioning by lifting it off the rails while the throttle was on. The first time you lift it off and set it back on the track, the Beeps should go into neutral mode. The second time should put the Beep into reverse. The third will put it back in neutral and the forth cycles it back into forward gear. After testing the Beep this way, I've found that it does work properly so now I've got to dig out one of my old accessories to drain the power on the CW-80.

I realize this is probably another blow to the head for the CW-80 as much as it's a thumbs-up for RMT but it still isn't enough of an issue to make me sorry I bought it.

And Beeps rock!
  2. Brian R.

Brian R. Member

Just a suggestion....i would dump that CW 80 now. They are pretty useless and unreliable. I bought a thomas set last year for my nephew.....the CW 80 has more bugs in it then any controller ive ever used. Try an older, but much more reliable 40 watt transformer. They come cheap on ebay. just a suggestion
  3. Cannonball

I've had the CW-80 for about 3 months now. It's had water spilled on it, fallen on the floor a couple of times and had a 3 year old running the controls. So far I've had no problems with it. The quirk with the Beep is the biggest issue I've encountered with it so far and that's fixable. If it blows, I'll junk it and find an MTH 1000.
  4. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

that must be why im seeing ALOT of the cw-80's selling CHEAP on ebay. all i hear is bad things about them, im thinking hard about getting a polar express set tomarrow, and it comes with a cw-80. but i alread have an 1033, and a old SW-130
  5. Cannonball

To be fair, there has been a lot of bad news connected to the CW-80 but as I said, I've had no problems with mine thus far.

But hey, this isn't about the CW-80.
    It's about the great customer service from RMT. :)