Twilight Zone

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
The middle of nowhere Oregon
Visit site
I was watching an old reruns of the great old TV shows hosted by Rod Serling when I came up with an idea of how to mix my facination with the strange and a layout that I am planning. The layout is to be an interchange of three different lines so as to diversify the types of cars that it would handel, but I wasn't sure which three lines to pursue. While watching the show I got to thinking, what if I used three lines that have no physical connection to each other. Talk about a deversification of rolling stock! :eek: :eek:
Now, I am admittedly not a railfan so I need some help. I need suggestions for three major lines that don't interchange with each other in the real world, so that I can connect them in my little corner of the Twilight Zone. :D :D

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
In real life you can have a wide variety of rolling stock and have only one railroad. Having multiple roads doesn't really change anything as a rule. However if you want several very different roads how about:

Florida East Coast
Boston & Maine
Alaska Railroad
Nickel Plate

Remember you wanted the twilight zone! :D :wave:

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
A North American Road, a Chinese road, and something European..

Hey, that sounds like the PNR!

http://www.geocities.com/steelhaven_ee/LocoShed.html

http://www.geocities.com/alcogoodwin/PhilippineRailways.html

The PNR is like a dream layout for someone with a severe case of Adult ADD. There's loco's and rollin' stock from North America, Europe, and Asia, to include gas, diesel, electric, freight, passenger, speeders, railcars, handcars and pushed carts, animal power, etc., etc., etc. and it's all narrow gauge. You can even include steam if you go out of the PNRs boundaries and onto the sugar plantations. These would be Baldwins that were reported as still running, but there may be a porter or two left from the 40 + imported. Vulcan and Euro Steam was and may still be present. Diesels did/do include GE (U8B and U14C), Alco, and critters by Baldwin-Lima and (of course) Plymouth. Some (steam) are preserved in museums. The are many photo's in their yahoo group:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PhilippineRailways/

F

Fred_M

How about mixing scales so the giants can have their own railroad.:D FRED

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
The middle of nowhere Oregon
Visit site
The problem with larger scales is space, the main reason I decided to go with N.
At first I thought of the idea of connecting seperate areas of the country, LA to New York in 4 hours with stops in Chicago, Houston, Seattle, and Miami.
Another thing I had considered is mixing eras, an 1890's passenger consist steaming by an Amtrak streamliner. Maybe if I could throw in a monorail somewhere. :D :D
Other countries would be good too as long as I could find the right rolling stock for them.
This would be a switchman's nightmare, switching a track from Belgrade to Melbourne and then to Calgary via Rio!
The more I think about it I'm afraid that I'd just end up with such a comglomeration that nobody could figure out any of it. :( :( Oh well, it was an interesting thought experiment. :)