TWE's Tiny Challenge

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by thewoodengraver, Sep 9, 2006.

1. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

michi, you're damn good my friend! I LOVE seeing your work ALWAYS!!!
    I would have done the repainted version. Three days after I built the repainted version, Aliens came and stole it from my hard-drive, so I no longer have it. I just haven't found the time to redo it.
    I don't build anything origional size anymore...kind of like asking a Skydiver to jump off a curb...
  2.'s hard to follow Phil's little steam engine but if I don't post this photo now, I might drive myself nuts trying to get this model "right." I must face the fact that I must learn papercraft and the warts (models) along the way won't be pretty. So, here it is, a 1:192 Beaver, based on Jim Gauzman's design. I haven't built one full size (1:48) yet so I had to use a quarter for size comparison. My apologies to Jim as his design is far better than my result but it is what it is and I think it's cute :)

Cheers --- Larry

Attached Files:

3. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

that is a great little plane! I cant believe you were worried about sharing it :)
  4. cardmodeler

cardmodeler Member

Hey Larry, good work on that Beaver! That's a cool plane. Speaking of planes, I have one more offering for this challenge. I recently saw an episode of Wonder Woman, and it got me to I located a kit(which was very hard to find) and got to scaling it down. It was a really tough build, but here it is...:wink:(sorry about the fuzzy picture)
  5. hpept

hpept Member

Larry, i don't know what you expected by yourself to be so reluctant to show it, or apologize for the construction, but in my opinion, the plane LOOKS GREAT!!! :grin:
  6. thewoodengraver

Larry, That plane is FABULOUS! Thank you for sharing it, you ARE worthy my friend! ............................ cardmodeler, please turn off the cloaking device and snap another pic.
  7. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Really superb job on the Beaver, Larry!
    I'm glad you posted a photo of her, she came out brilliantly.

I've (not) seen that jet before, cardmodeler, but it was certainly a bit larger version than your little gem. I love the detailed landing gear, hard to roll paper that thin.:grin:

8. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Wonder Womans jet is invisible, not cloaked :p
  9. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Ok TWE,

This challenge gave me the kick I neede to finally finish this one. It's a FG Seimens Shuckert scaled down to 1/144 (Ican't hold a candle to Texman but I'll give it my best). I started it very early in my card modeling road but didn't have the nerve to tackle the struts let alone the rigging. Now that my skills have considerably improved I felt I was ready to complete her. Hope everybody likes it.

Getter 1

Oh and Larry your plane looks great :D Keep it up!

Attached Files:

10. Thanks to you and others for your kind comments. I'm too old to be 'worried', at least about models. But I am used to my models looking better than this so my 'protests' are probably more based in those thoughts than worry. I'm a realist and understand that card modeling is a whole new medium for me and I have much to learn but still, it's hard to feel so clumsy when dealing with basic modeling concepts.

And speaking of basic modeling concepts, how the heck do you guys make struts from paper in such small sizes and still have their cross-sections be 'ok'. Also, do you have any tricks for rounding their edges?

Next do you make wheels that are two disks with a rolled tread look like "tires" rather than round disks with square edges?

Once again, thanks to all of you who have posted tiny models. When I got interested in card modeling...a whole month ago, I never thought I'd be trying to build small but it sure is fun.

Cheers --- Larry
  11. Awesome!!! Such a nice, clean model. I know that "very early in my card modeling road" thing :) I LOVE this Tiny thread.

Cheers -- Larry
  12. thewoodengraver

Chris,... cloaked, invisible, what-ev! It's obvious cardmodeler cheated, those cannot be real fingers!...................Getter1, That little Schuckert is AWESOME! love the rigging, and the three different scales!!!..............Larry, for the struts, you laminate onto another piece of cardstock, then cut out. When you color the edges it looks like 1 piece. For the illusion of rounded edges, I use polyurethane. As for the tires... form the loop (tread) first, cut the sidewalls with scissors or a very steady hand and apply on top of the loop.
  13. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Dang! I looked for weeks for Wonder Woman's plane....... just when I find it get it scaled down, somebody else has got to get a picture of it before me! Shoot! Guess I just gonna toss it away and see if I can find that Klingon Bird of Prey that's around here somewhere..........

What!!?? No Cloaked ships.............always a day late and a dollar short.......... man:cry:

Y'all all amaze me with them tiny......... ummmmm....... models
  14. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Hmmmm, Wonder Woman's jet could make a very intresting card model if printed on transparencies.

Getter 1

Attached Files:

15. josve

josve Active Member

Thsi is not a challenge I was comfortable with...but the result is better than I hoped, so please don't look too closely at the pics LOL
  16. That's sure tiny, Johnny. I can't imagine working that small. Maybe I shouldn't try :) Congrats on your build.

Cheers --- Larry
  17. thewoodengraver

Johnny, NICE JOB!!! Thank you very much my friend! This is good practice for us, yes?
  18. thewoodengraver

Larry, If you ever want to build an ultra-deluxe model, for instance Modelik, GPM MUST master building tiny. This is only my opinion. This challenge was born of Fun, BUT, it is also designed as practice. I have looked at some of the parts of models I hope to build someday and I swear to you, some parts are as tiny as a Lentil. Please do NOT give up, just practice, practice, practice...
  19. Sure, but I found that I need several layers to actually support the wing. Jim Gauzman's Beaver actually uses the struts to support the wing. I tried a 2-layer strut and the wings sagged. Not sure I understand 'use polyurethane' to round the edges. You mean paint them with Minwax polyurethane or something else?

Yep, what I did. And you end up with tires with square edges. More polyurethane (grin)? It would take a lot to round up tires.

Cheers --- Larry
  20. <grin>...I think you take my comments too seriously. I have no intentions of 'giving up'. I can understand what you're saying about how interior details of complex models are identical to miniature models.

I don't really care what the goals for this thread were/are but I sure find it, and the general build challenge thread you started to be some of the most fun on the site.

Cheers --- Larry