TWE's Tiny Challenge

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by thewoodengraver, Sep 9, 2006.

1. Kevin G

Kevin G Member

Larry, the village looks awesome! Looks like a nice clean build and if you took that quarter out of the pic I wouldn't be able to tell it is tiny.
    It takes alot of guts to post up your work for others to see even more so when you are new at it. I would say that you appear to be a natural at this hobby.
    Excelent job!
  2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

yeah man, I like the village too. I think everyone should send their tiny builds to one person to make a diorama :) unless we have someone that is really good with photoshop manipulation! :D
  3. gchucky

gchucky Member

Here is a carousel made from a scan of old Broderbund's The Toyshop manual. The software would have printed five letter size sheet. Hand colored with pencils. Fully working, the shafts, cogs, and crank handle are rolled paper for you purist out there.

Attached Files:

4. As you initiated the thread, I guess you have the right to say what goes in it. I just didn't want to take anything away from the fine display going on here. In fact, I hope to add to it again.

Before questions, thanks to all for your kind words. It's true that it is a be scary for newbies to post their models but I figure that if I set an example, maybe we'll see more of them. Also, I got lucky and found the link for the small town I posted. My daughter has started building it full-size so we'll have one for comparison. models.htm questions. Let's start with just a couple simple ones.

1) Is there a handy way, from AReader, to print multiple pages on a single page as you guys are describing? The only way I've been able to do it is to extract the JPG from a PDF and then print it. I also have Acrobat but I haven't updated it in years. I can't find any way of doing it from there either. Does one exist in v7 or v8?

2) I know this is one that's going to be best answered with "it depends" so I'll ask it this way: What are the things you look at when deciding that you should go to 24lb paper rather than cardstock when building miniatures. Obviously rolling small tubes would be one but what about other things?

That should get us started. Again, thanks for the kind words and thanks for all the help.

Cheers --- Larry
  5. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Might want to wait for some pro's to answer...I use Photoshop to save as .jpg then print,yes. As for your second question, I personally use 110# cardstock for everything. I'm sure this is unusual...but so am I. And before it is asked, cut ALL tabs off, they seem to throw accuracy way off, besides, the edges of cardstock glue nicely.
  6. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

in adobe I have the option on the print screen to choose multiple per page. I can also choose the orientation as well as the number per page specified in columns and rows. This is version 7. To update in adobe you should be able to go to help and then update. Else just visit adobes website. I am not at my computer right now so my description might not be exact :)
  7. I suspect these two recommendations are related :) I'm surprised that you can roll 110# stock very well to these small sizes. I've found that eliminating at least some of the tabs improves fit with these small models. Heck, some of them become so small that I can't see them anyway :)

Cheers --- Larry
  8. I hadn't thought about doing online updating of my Acrobat. I used Acrobat a bunch of years ago when I was creating a mountain of PDFs but until I bumped into this card modeling thing, I have used it only to grab some web pages on occasion. So, I'm sitting with v4 of Acrobat.

I thought I'd check your idea, though, and I did an update. All that I can see that's changed is the splash screen; I've still got v4 :) I think I'll run out and buy a new copy tommorrow as what you're describing is what I'd like to have. Thanks.

Cheers --- Larry
  9. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

dont buy it! you can get reader for free at their site. :) buy pro if ya want but reader should suffice for most.

10. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Larry, I'm a bit bummed out...for some reason your photo won't upload when I try to see your post on the village...I would love if you would post it to the gallery, if possible.

I guess I'm the only one having this problem....

11. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

True..... on the reader. And count me in on the 110# card stock for everything.........well except for the cereal boxes and note pads backs I use to make stuff THICKER!:grin:

Chuck the tabs.............full seam ahead! yeah that's right seam!:grin:
  12. I have reader. It doesn't do what real Acrobat does.

Cheers --- Larry
  13. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

no it doesnt do everything but its a heck of a lot cheaper. I would have thuoght the print options would have been the same though. Dunno for sure. I use acrobat 7 pro.
  14. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

truly a beautiful model. I'd love to build that one.
  15. Hmm...the only thing I can imagine is that you have your browser set such that it doesn't allow redirection to another URL. I've been posting the few photos I've posted by uploading them to my webspace and then referencing them. I don't really like that idea as if I ever move the files they disappear from here. With this msg I've just tried using the paperclip icon to "attach" a photo but I see nothing to indicate that this actually occurred :)

Anyways, you've breached a question that has concerned me so let's address it (actually there are two questions).

1) How to you guy insert photos into msgs?

2) How do you upload stuff to the gallery such that the files end up under names like "Jim's models"?

On this later thing, I just went to the gallery, uploaded "small_town_sm.jpg", called it Small Town but I couldn't see any way of giving a name for a folder in which to store it unless one already existed (I could choose from a list). Thus, while the photo is listed as the 'last uploaded', I can't find it anywhere in the lists of photos, can't access it by clicking on "my stuff", can't find it by searching for a member's name (mine) and so I suspect I've done something wrong.

Oh, and once you do upload something in the gallery, how do you reference it in a msg?

Cheers --- Larry

Attached Files:

16. Our dialog caused me to investigate a bit more. Seems what print options one has in both Reader and Acrobat are determined by your printer driver, not the Adobe products. I have an Epson C86 that completely clogged up and won't work at all but if I chose it as the target printer, I get lots of print options. Seems my old HP810 just doesn't have the options. Might be time to buy a new set of printer cartridges with a printer attached :)

Cheers --- Larry
  17. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Sometimes thats almost cheaper :) good to know - thanks larry! Cant help with your other questions though. (the pics) they might be worthy of a new thread though as they dont really refrain to making tiny models (plus it will be easier to find later)
  18. cardmodeler

cardmodeler Member

Here's my simple little model for the tiny model challenge. It's resting on a quarter. I don't know how to scale down PDFs so I just set my printer to print 16 original images to one 8 1/2 x 11 sheet. So maybe that's 1/16 of the original??? [​IMG]
  19. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Ah! Now I see it...and well worth the wait, Larry!

Extremely fine work! Quite remarkable photo too, so very crisp and clear. Thanks!

Excellent little house, cardmodeler! Thanks for posting your photo as well.

20. july1772

july1772 Member

Great job on the tiny building, cardmodeler.