TWE's Tiny Challenge

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by thewoodengraver, Sep 9, 2006.

1. ShaunGamer

ShaunGamer Member

Its another commercial model (like the T34) available from Paper Tiger Armaments.
    In fact I think just about all of the models from that site could be rescaled fairly easily, so have a look around.

Man! I love the Mecha!! Nothing beats large mechanical monsters with guns!!
    And whats impressive about a 2cm high mecha??? :) 7cm is down scaled from the original and still has that oversized menacing feel!!
  2. barry

barry Active Member

1/200 Navy Lynx

Bit big I'm afraid but it is 1/200 at 3" long and I am not going to attempt to scale it to 1/250th. It's old hat as well

3. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

You guys are SO GOOD! I am completely amazed. I am trying to break out of a cardmodeling slump. I was juggling too many projects at one time and I completely stressed out. So I decided to yank those things causing the stress, like my website. Every day I was replacing pictures and links because Murphy sent them into hyperspace. I will not pay for something that does not work. It is still there (with ads now), but I will no longer update it. I have a hard time participating if I don't have a cardmodel build to show... I better get busy cutting cards... Love you guys!
  4. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

That's the spirit! Chuck the aggravating more models!

I think I'm going to add that to my signature!
  5. goney3

goney3 Member

Okay, without trying to sound like a total idiot... how do you scale down models?

*ducks to avoid tomatos*
  6. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

If you have photoshop or something similar you can rescale the image by percentage.

If pdf I believe you can print by a percent throught it's interface.

You have to know the original scale first then figuring out what you want to got to........... 1/48 original to 1/72 would be 67% 48/72 = 66666667

1/48 to 1/144 would be 33% 48/144 = 333333

7. july1772

july1772 Member

Here are some Fiddlers Green lighthouses. All were printed at 25%. The yellow one--Split Rock--is a free download.

Attached Files:

8. ShaunGamer

ShaunGamer Member

Wow! Those Lighthouses are small. They look excellent though. Almost better than at full size.

Putting the dog among them is just mean. I keep thinking of fire hydrants for some reason . . .
  9. july1772

july1772 Member

I was thinking the same thing, ShaunGamer. If I had a red lighthouse, it would have made a perfect fire hydrant.
  10. Kevin G

Kevin G Member

Awesome stuff so far guys!
    Here is my offering. It is the I-36 Submarine from my other thread. There are a total of 16 pages of parts on A4 paper and I am not sure what scale it is in. I printed it 16 pages to a sheet on a single sheet of letter size 110# card stock. I figured this would qualify since each page is smaller than a bussiness card! I did not build the 4 suicide subs on this tiny build but did on the full size build. The originaal size is just over 35 inches long and the tiny version is 7 3/4 inches long. The original build can be seen in the background or in my other thread. Hope you like it!

11. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

incredible! that looks really great :)
  12. ShaunGamer

ShaunGamer Member

16 pages onto a single sheet . . . I wouldn't have bothered with the suicide subs either! 8)
  13. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

@ Bazzer...that's an outstanding bit of work there, mate. All the more so since you designed it yourself!

@july1772...excellent looking lighthouses, and that little dog, I just love the way you built him, very clean and precise work!

@Kevin G...great build of the sub, you've made great use of the 16 pages, my friend; it looks superb! Go ahead, try the midget subs as well...midget subs on a midget sub.:grin: Excellent work!

I'm really loving this thread, it just goes to show how most any model can be micro-sized and built. We've got some outstanding talent here, mateys!

14. thewoodengraver

POTW's best sources!!!

I finally took a break from things to come play, no entry for me yet, besides, no way I could top what has been posted...but I will try... I realized after seeing your posts I could have better defined the qualifications, if you think it qualifies...POST IT!!! Highlander, OMG! Thank you SO MUCH for posting that Essex! This is EXACTLY my point! I want to build models with that degree of detail. If I cannot build them tiny, I'll never finish one like this! OUTSTANDING!!! Jim, I wanted to build that ship too...until I saw the parts for the Sea King! Lost a handful of hair scratching my head! I cropped the Sikorsky out and have it sitting on my "to do" pile... Fantastic! ShaunGamer, I have built two tanks so far, a "hako" style tank and one from Micromodels. Yours make mine look as though my dog built them! Oylpslyk, Great Mechwarrior!!! qualifies nicely! barry, geez...I don't know what to say...I'm very impressed!! Your design? I'm DOUBLE very impressed!!!! Goney3, Did John answer your question? If you need more clarification, please tell us what software you intend to use to scale down your models. July1772, Excellent little lighthouses!!! I CAN SEE!!! KevinG, Great little sub! at least attempt the rest of the parts even if you have to modify them...if you don't still did a great job!
  15. july1772

july1772 Member

Thanks Jim and TWE. The surprising thing about the lighthouses is how easy they were to build. I didn't even need to use tweezers. I was more surprised that I successfully built the dog at such a small size, considering that I messed up when I attempted to build it at a larger size.
  16. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Smaller models means smaller mistakes:grin: ............. right?

Very cool lighthouses! And I like the Yorkie.....ain't that right?

16 pages on one!!?? Amazing! Neat sub too!

17. Wow...the models posted in this thread are truly inspired and inspiring. When Jim posted his tiny freighters I couldn't believe my eyes and I jumped into this thread with the notion that, as a complete rookie, I couldn't build tiny cuz I couldn't build large. But I felt I should participate in some small way.

Then, as the models showed up, I became enchanted by the thought of building small. I avoided posting a lot of "wow, that's neat" messages when each model was unveiled but it was really hard not to do so. The talent in this forum is unbelievable. Thanks sooooooo much for sharing a glimpse of your models.

I'm afraid mine isn't nearly as impressive but heck, it's only my third model (second really), my first building, and certainly the first thing where I've put four to a page before building. Simple, sloppy, but my wife thinks its cute.

Thanks, Phil, for another great thread. I wonder if you guys would be up for having a thread about "HOW to build small"? I'd sure like to ask some questions and it's clear that you guys have the answers.

Cheers --- Larry
  18. thewoodengraver

Larry, Ask away my friend! I, along with many others, will be happy to answer any questions you may have. In essence, this thread IS about how to build tiny. Only in a pictorial sense. Your Village looks great my friend!
  19. july1772

july1772 Member

Larry, you're too hard on yourself. I thought you did a good job on the FJ-1 Fury. Considering that it was your first airplane, you were brave to post your progress pics (my first airplane was downright laughable). And these buildings don't look sloppy at all. You should be proud of the way they turned out; I agree with TWE--they look great. You wouldn't happen to have a link for them?
  20. ShaunGamer

ShaunGamer Member

I also wish to join the bandwagon, and state how good the buildings look.
    No more sloppy than my tank.