TWE's Tiny Challenge

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by thewoodengraver, Sep 9, 2006.

1. july1772

july1772 Member

Outstanding work, Highlander! The Essex alone--heck, even one plane--is impressive enough. The inclusion of both the Essex and all those planes makes this a mind-boggling post. Talk about making a good first impression. To paraphrase Bowdenja, "Blessed Dung, indeed!"

(Great line, Bowdenja.)
  2. gchucky

gchucky Member

Hey july1772
    Good to see someone built my Hako Voltron. The model is in the Smartgroups Cardmodels4fun's file area. The shoulders are a bit off. The quarter circle flaps goes on the inside of the arms. Still a nice surprise. Thanks

3. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

I built Yuki Yuji's Arleigh Burke destroyer in 1/700 scale a while back, and I thought you'd like to see the Sikorsky Sea King helicopter that was part of the build:

Not very detailed, certainly not as great as the other models shown here, but I was happy with the way this simple build came out.

4. goney3

goney3 Member

:shock: :-o :shock:
  5. july1772

july1772 Member

Gchucky, you did a great job designing the model. The lack of instructions provided the only challenge. I waited to see if someone would post pics of a finished build so I could use them as reference, but I either missed such a post or nobody did so. Anyway, I checked out some pics of toy Voltrons and took a crack at building the model. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. Regarding the flaps...They just pop out from the kids handling the model.

Jim Krauzlis, regardless of the amount of detail, that's a nice looking Sea King. And the work you did on the freighter is outstanding.
  6. Jim Krauzlis

Thanks, july1772, I'm glad you like the little ship...but that Essex by Highlander is awesome...I made one Sea King; he built an few air arms and a superb carrier on top of that!

John is right, bazzer, looks like we have an outstanding shipwright in Highlander. I look forward to seeing a build thread on the Essex as well.

BTW, that dog is amazing! REAL nice job of forming that little!
    I love the way it came out.

7. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Ugh your not very detailed teenst tiny is more detailed than my normals... sweet job!
  8. july1772

july1772 Member

Jim...You're right about the Essex, it's very impressive. And I have to admit that the dog is downright cute. Too bad it was only offered for a limited time. For those who haven't built a KeiCraft model, this site provides links to some free samples:
    The freebies include two dogs and a dinosaur. If you go to the bokumono site, click on the pic that leads to the "bonus" index.
  9. ShaunGamer

ShaunGamer Member

Well I ended up going for a 1:285 scale Tiger. Same color scheme as the original 1:72.
    One thing I wanted to do with this model is build it the same as the original. I wanted to keep all the "glued on" surface details and use the same piece count as the original model.
    I wanted the turret to turn and the gun elevation to work.
    Unfortunately at this scale, even thin paper (80gsm) seems thick!!! (although not thick enough to make the elevation work properly!) :(

Still I had 16 copies per page if I made a mistake. (I used two - when you decrease the size of the pieces you also decrease the size between the pieces!!! - there were a few slips of the knife - or scissors - no fingers gone though!!)

Attached Files:

10. ShaunGamer

ShaunGamer Member

As the previous picture turned out a little blurry and I didn't put something else in to verify the size (I could have created a 1:35 scale Tiger first??) here is a picture with the tiny Tiger on my finger tip.

(Wish I had better eyesight when taking pictures) :)

Attached Files:

11. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Holy cow man! Now thats a small tank! You could sell that to army ants!! :D
  12. Texman

Texman Guest

Uh-oh, this thread is allowing some of the shrinker secrets to be exposed!

Nice build Shaun!!

13. goney3

goney3 Member

I want one! :)
  14. Jim Krauzlis

Totally awesome, Shaun!!!:-o

You have to tell me how you rolled that barrel...please?:grin:

15. july1772

july1772 Member

Terrific build, ShaunGamer! I, too, want to know how you rolled the barrel.
  16. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

He got his AUNT to do it!:grin:

Could not pass that one up.............. Shaun..........amazing AGAIN!

17. ShaunGamer

ShaunGamer Member

Actually, my Aunt thought I was crazy to attempt the tank at all!! :D

This is my first really small reduced scale model, I didn't realize I was revealing hidden shrinker secrets!! :D

Although I am sure the postage would be very small, :) I am not sure I could put my fingers and eyesight through that again. At least not straight away . . .

Jim Krauzlis & july1772
    I have to admit the barrel was a second attempt, because of dirty fingers. So my first tip is wash your hands (even if you don't think they are dirty!)

Take the piece to be rolled (cut out, so it has extra whitespace) and curve the edge around the corner of a metal ruler with a knife.
    Detailed version:
    Lay a ruler on the cutting mat. Lay the paper so that the edge sticks over the side of the ruler. Use a knife to press the edge around the corner of the ruler.​

Now, using two hands start to roll the paper around the curve. Keep rolling until you have used it all.
    Unroll and roll it again. Do this until you have a roll that is the right diameter at the start.
    Trim the excess off, roll again and glue.
    The only trick (if there is one) is how to start the roll small.
    The larger diameters are completed as separate pieces which are glued on after the first roll has dried.

I hope that answers your question! :)
  18. july1772

july1772 Member

Thanks for the tips, Shaungamer--especially the part about cutting a piece with extra white space. Oh yeah, also the tip about the clean hands. I'm rather sloppy with the glue and I usually have layers of the stuff on my fingers. And I completely understand what you mean about your eyesight. It's been years since I made models this small and I'm suffering from eye-strain right now.
  19. goney3

goney3 Member

Hehehe, can we get a copy of the plans to kill our eyes, err I mean try our hand at building it? :-D

Its just so neat, tiny, and cool looking! You are awesome! :)
  20. OylPslyk

OylPslyk Aspiring Usurper

Mini Mecha

this isnt really micro, but it stands 7cm tall...designed for 24cm
    i dont have a build of the same mech so I placed with an "uncle" from the same design set