TWE's Tiny Challenge

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by thewoodengraver, Sep 9, 2006.

1. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

I use the #11 blade almost exclusively, with a pair of scissors for the occassional cutting job...and tweezers to hold things down when trimming. I find it works best for me to cut as close to the line as I can and then trim any spots I wasn't close enough the first time using the #11 blade and holding the part with tweezers. As with any paper model build, patience and taking your time in cutting accurately works best for me. Oh, and make sure it's a fresh, VERY sharp blade.
  2. spirtos

spirtos Member

...thank you very much for your kind words thewoodengraver ... such comment coming from you encourages me to try similar projects in the future...
  3. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Spirtos, You deserve it, nothing I ever made was put on the picture of the week. Besides, I am too intimidated to build the Yamaha just yet...even at ORIGIONAL size.
  4. ETaylor

ETaylor New Member

I've got a tiny FG Cub I built a while back. There might be someone who posted this before, but I will post some pics when i get them hosted. It has about an inch-and a half wingspan, and has all the details-landing gear bungees, etc. Ask Sakrison about it- he's seen it.
  5. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Gonk and Little Gonk were walking down the road...

I finally got my entry for the tiny challenge done. Too many projects, not enough time....

I printed the small one from Adobe selecting Multiple pages per sheet, and setting it at 9 pages per sheet, so whatever that works out to scalewise, it's a lot smaller than the original. The little guy measures an inch and a half tall. Full size it's just under 5 inches. Not the best builds I've ever done, but oh well. This was posted by Stev0 recently here He also posted another droid - can't remember which at the moment.

Attached Files:

6. thewoodengraver

IT'S ALIVE!!!...oh GLORIOUS tiny thread!!!!
    Nice Gonk droid! I'm happy Father and Child were reunited!
    You did a great job on the build and the end product is quite fun...yes?

More tinies...more tinies...more tinies...(chant with me if you want)...more tinies...
  7. The Terminator

The Terminator New Member

This isn't part of the challenge as i have not shrunk it down from another model but i was testing how small i could go before having problems and i've found my limit......i mainly did this for a laugh.
    It's a 1/400 volvo 740 estate with basic interior, making it this small is almost impossible it just loses its shape and all folds have to be made with tweezers.......i bodybuild/powerlift and have quite large fingers!
    The coin it is on is a UK 1 pence piece.
  8. thewoodengraver

This is no laughing matter! You did an excellent job!!!
    Large fingers will not excuse inability...practice! You will find soon that you HAVE NOT yet reached your limit!
    Great Job!!!
  9. The Terminator

The Terminator New Member

I'm trying to develop new techniques to make a smaller and more detailed model at the mo, painting CA on all inner surfaces except folds to stiffen the panels/struts whilst still on the card to avoid adding too much thickness....those little door struts are very weak.

EDIT: Well i've built a 1/10,000 NIMITZ....i thought about making a few aircraft but i couldn't find any dust! .....hornets would be 1.7mm long.
  10. thewoodengraver

Gasp!...i'm impressed!
  11. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Where did you find the 17 foot long ruler? ;)
    pretty sweet!
  12. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

You people amaze me....

Or worry me, I can't decide which... ;)

13. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

Well, I finally figured out how to scale printing, so I had a go at it; just simple stuff;
    View attachment 6360
    The fish is 2", printed at 10%
    It wasn't small enough, so I tried the Trojan Rabbit from Monty Python and the Holy Grail;
    View attachment 6361
    It's 1/4 inch, also printed at 10%.
    Fun stuff, but I have no idea how some of you guys do the really tiny stuff you do!!

Attached Files:

14. thewoodengraver

Yes you do! That fish is really neat! Do one more...earrings! lol
    That Rabbit is a hoot!
  15. Chthulhu

Chthulhu Member

Wonderful! Does it still roll at that size? <G>

May I use your image on the Rabbit's Web page?

Mike Hungerford
  16. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

I'd be genuinely honored if you did. I've done a few of your models and I must say simply...thank you! Genuinely appreciated! Unfortunately, I raced through it and it's only a static model. Maybe I'll have another go at it later to get a rolling model.
    The funny part is that the fish looks more real at 2" than it does at 11"! This micro-scale paper modeling does have its' own level of fascination...if only my eyes hold up for it!
    But a real question; how do you roll paper at this scale for gun barrels, pitot tubes, etc.? This is all a bit new to me!
  17. Texman

Texman Guest

I, and most others who work in the small scales, will print a second copy of the kit on regular print paper. This allows you to roll items alot easier, and it does not show the edge lines (not as thick) as bad. For things like pitot tubes, I use the discarded tips of my sons insulin needles. For rigging of aircraft, I use a .03 mm clear nylon thread, colored with a sharpie marker.

18. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

I'd like to see someone build my Eagle 2 tiny, so I can design the launch pad small enough that it won't take up an entire tabletop.

Scott K.

Attached Files:

19. thewoodengraver

Skott K,
    I have downloaded your Eagle 2 (white) version. I will look it over and see what I can come up with. I like your design!
    I am not making any promises, and don't hold your breath, but if I can do it I will!
    I am not at all sure if I could match the scale in your diagram, but I will come as close as possible without imploding.

If you have any other files associated with this model, PM me and we can email.

Wish me luck!
  20. Chthulhu

Chthulhu Member

Thank you, Chris; I've added your photo to the page: