TWE's Tiny Challenge

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by thewoodengraver, Sep 9, 2006.

1. michik

michik Member

Finally, I have finished my real entry: It's Fiddlersgreen's Grumman Avenger (well, actually it's a repaint as a Tarpon Mk II of the British Pacific Fleet) at 7.4%, which makes it 1/1250 scale.

It's pretty much an out of the box build, I only omitted the cowling ring (because it was impossible to cut out) and I removed all clutter, including glueing tabs, before printing out. One sheet measures 0.78 by 0.56 inches, but of course I printed out several sheets to have enough spare parts.

(The carrier is my venerable Airfix Ark Royal, completely wrong, but it's the only one I got)

Attached Files:

2. michik

michik Member

And another picture, together with the recognizable object.

I have to admit that I really reached my limits with this model, but hey, that was the point of it, wasn't it?

that hun looks great!

whether it's 1/500 or 1/800, it's damn impressive! (And sorry for the aliens!)
    BTW, what is TY scale?

Attached Files:

3. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

TY = TinY

I'm just guessing.
    Sounds good to me.

Awesome plane Michi!
    I think that it falls in the RFT scale.
    Really Friggin Tiny! :grin:

4. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

5. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

VERY nicely done, Michi...but where did you get that table sized bottle cap?:grin:
    Thanks for sharing photos of your micro model Avenger.

6. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

My attempt at getting small

Here is my attempt at a tiny build. I think the original model is supposed to be HO scale. I wound up printing all four pages on one sheet somehow, so the model shown is 25% of the original. My big fingers and dim eyes did a job on the model, but it was kinda fun to put together. The US quarter coin is around 24mm in diameter.

Attached Files:

7. thewoodengraver

Looks great Doug! Seems as though you've created your own Micromodel! Thanx!!
  8. spirtos

spirtos Member

thiw thread is "quiet" for a couple of days I the only one still building?

9. thewoodengraver

spirtos, Awesome cycle!!
    Don't worry, I'm sure someone else will WOW us soon...workin' on it myself...
  10. Rev

Rev Member

Did you finish the tiny motorcycle?

Hey Spirtos, did you finish your motorcycle? I really wanted to see the finished version.
  11. spirtos

spirtos Member

...not yet , but it will be soon...all is left is the radiator , the exhaust pipe and the under cowl... :)
  12. thewoodengraver

Barnacle beak!

The little guy on yhe right was built by my Wife Catherine, it was printed at 50% (I think). The little guy on the left was built by me. The parts fit on a business card.
  13. SteveM

SteveM Member

The larger Bob on the right is the intended size, so is actually 100%. Bob is designed to be printed on a 5x3.75" card so that he will be "in scale" with the large Pineapple House.

Nice work on the tiny one, very impressive!
  14. thewoodengraver

Thanx SteveM! I wasn't sure of his scale as I usually print everything smaller than intended. Now I know he will be in scale with the jumbo Pineapple!!!
    As for the little guy...Thanks! AND a big THANKS for giving us these little critters!!! Homespun Magixx ROCKS!!!
  15. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

I just love the many awesome builds ya'll have posted! Really excellent stuff!

I had been thinking about a project for a while now and figured I'd try it out to see it might work out. I have been admiring the various space launcher builds I've seen around the web and just had to try one myself. The one I figured I'd play around with is the Mercury Redstone designed by Eric te Groen on his Lansbergen site...I just love his designs and figured it was about time to try one out. The original can be found at

I reduced the original 1/96 scale sheets to 1/144. I just had to play around with the lattice work on the escape rocket to try and model a slightly different way. The results are below...clearly not as nice as many builds shown here but it was fun to try something different.

Here's a little better view of the capsule and escape rocket thingie:

As I said, it didn't come out as well as I had hoped, but I had fun playing around with it. Some day I'll have to build a stand for it too.
    Hope you enjoy seeing it.

(I really have to get back to the USS Constitution some day...:oops: )
  16. hpept

hpept Member

Great model Jim!!! Your escape tower structure came out better on your reduced model than in my standard size model :wink: . I had to to do the structure without cutting the lattice to make it look decent, because i couldn't manage to keep it straight, as the paper cut so thin was warping all the time.
    Fine job. :-D
  17. Texman

Texman Guest

That's got me beat. How did you do the lattice tower? This looks like
    a technique I am going to have to try on some of the smaller frameworks.

18. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Wow, Jim, that's just insane! And that's what I'd be if I tried something like that! Great job!

19. Rockets are really cool when they're small :) The lattice on the escape towar is amazing. How did you keep it stiff enough to support itself?

Cheers --- Larry
  20. july1772

july1772 Member

Terrific job, Jim. Very impressive work.