TWE's Tiny Challenge

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by thewoodengraver, Sep 9, 2006.

1. hpept

hpept Member

Here goes my entry for the TWE tiny challenge. It's an F-104 Starfighter in the Aeronautica Militare Italiana markings. It's in 1:200 scale, while the original model was intended to be built at 1:72, so it was downsized by 36%. Took an hour to go together from print to photo. Everything went smooth during assembly, except the upper semi fuselage which was warped after glued. I had to cut it the inside and glue again to get it straightened. Funny build while waiting for dinner.

2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Wow, that looks great!
  3. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Awesome build, hpept!

What type of paper/card did you use?

Just curious what type of paper everyone has tried in building their little gems, so please feel free to add your comment on what you think is the best weight for your builds.

4. hpept

hpept Member

Jim, i used normal everyday copy paper, 75 gsm. This is good for little constructions, but it's a hell to keep away from warping badly when it just smells glue. I used UHU stick glue for all the planar pieces (wings and tails) but i had to use white glue to glue all the rest (fuselage and particulars like the spine on the back of the fuselage... i barely could see it 8))
  5. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Hi Guys, A "small return" to card modeling. Fiddler's Green FW-109, F86 and a partially built SBD Dauntless. The FW has rudimentary wheel wells.

Attached Files:

6. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

looks good! I like those fg models more everytime I see them :)
  7. simpleflyer

simpleflyer New Member

Looks neat, I have not built a reduced FG model from paper yet, but I think I'll try it.
    The top side, I guess I was in a hurry, it was hard to get the fuselage warp free and all the flying surfaces and fuse lined up. I'm thinking of trying another F-16, building it as an F-16XL.
  8. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Fantastic job to both of you, cmdrted and hpept!

You guys do great work in the tiny realm!

I have yet to even decide what to build for this challenge!

It's hard to match skills such as you guys have!

9. Lots of little airplanes. Love the F-104 and its display stand. Interesting that it's been built completely with regular paper. The F-86 and Fw-190 are very nice as well. I really think that FG models are better when reduced and these look great. Congrats to both of you.

Cheers --- Larry
  10. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Hpept, EXCELLENT my friend!!! I like that little "custom" stand too!.......cmdrted, Great job on those FG planes!!!
  11. Rev

Rev Member

Stand and glue

I really like that stand that hpept used, I am stealing the idea. Thanks. Glueing paper and not have it wrinkle. . . I use somewhat dried glue, only a little, with pressure and it seems to really work well.

I use Elmers, put a dab on card stock, then let it form a skin. (. . . this happens as I cut the little dinky pieces out.) then I take a toothpick and spread just a little on the edges, not over the whole area, and apply a little pressure. No wrinkling and a quick build every time.

I am working on an f-15 currently and plan to make a very small version of it when I learn how to build the big one. My son is just dying to get his hands on the f-15 only half built, so the small one will be the only one displayed.

12. hpept

hpept Member

Another entry. This time i built a model of one of our best designers around here. It's an F-100 Super Sabre by Rob Carleen. I reduced to 1:200 to make a companion for my other small F-104 Starfighter.
    I actually must admit that building undersized models makes them look better than bigger scale. See yourself.

13. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

That's beautiful hpept!
  14. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

15. thewoodengraver

hpept, Looks good buddy!!!:wink: I, personally, think building them tiny is easier!
    shoki2000, GASP! That little gold tank is TINY!!! I don't think I could even see the parts to cut?? There is GOOD NEWS, I am getting a magnifying light for my Birthday soon!! I will be cranking out tinies!!!
  16. thewoodengraver

Here's my 'lil buddy at 20%, or 1:101, or 3/4". The larger of the two also qualifies at 75%
  17. That's a cutie, both sizes :)

Cheers --- Larry
  18. thewoodengraver

Thanx Larry! I got him next to all my other tinies, and he still looks HUGE!
    My post of the tiny William Crooks Locomotive ( post #128 ) was incorrect and has been edited. The actual engine measures 50'-8" (50.66) the model engine measures 3/4" ( .75). I measured the engine AND tender.Measuring the engine makes the scale 1:811 not 1:500, sorry for the miscalculation. Not quite TY scale (1:900) but damn close!
  19. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Fantastic job on that train Phil! And on your tiny Hako self!

Amazing considering you built them without your birthday present, the magnifier.

Still impressive if you had!

20. You should put him on a seat on the tender and he'll look like the live-steam modelers who dwarf the trains they ride one.

Cheers --- Larry