TWE's Tiny Challenge

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by thewoodengraver, Sep 9, 2006.

1. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

I challenge ALL Cardmodelers part 2:

I wanted to wait until I finished my entry before I started this thread but you all have shown so much interest that I decided to start it anyway. I will post my entry, when it is finished.

I like 'em tiny. Here's my challenge;

Take any cardmodel you want and build it at 75% of origional or smaller.

Scale does NOT matter, a 1:72 Airplane will be MUCH different from a 1:72 Building. The size of the finished model does. Just build them smaller than intended.

You are NOT limited by any amount of printed pages.
    If you can shrink your parts pages small enough to fit on a business card, then you will get twelve pages of parts on one printed page.
    If you shrink your parts pages to 50% you will get four pages of parts on one printed page. If you shrink your parts pages to 75% you will get two pages of parts on one printed page.

Please specify the percentage of origional your model is printed and include in the pic one or more of the following;

The same model built origional size, a ruler, an object that is Globally recognized.

TIP: Build your model first at origional size so you understand the build, then build it at 75%, then 50% then...?...until you have built it as tiny as you possible can without going ballistic.

There is no time limit to this challenge.
  2. thewoodengraver

No page limits!

I updated the criterium to reflect no limit on the amount of parts pages.

Just print at 75% or smaller.
  3. I think your 'has to fit in the palm of your hand' is a great way to define 'tiny' and while I'm too wet behind the ears to do any of this, I'm in. Not sure what I'll do at this point but I'll probably shrink one of Rob's designs. Thanks for getting this going.

Cheers --- Larry
  4. Wolfshead57

Wolfshead57 Member

Does the complexity of the model matter? only a newbie to this sport but want to have a bash.

5. airbob

airbob Member

Tiny challenge.

Can I enter my model?... of the Ki-46 III "Dinah" glassed nose version at 1:120 scale in the crazy camoflage pattern!!!:shock: This kit is based on the original Maty kit that was originaly 1:33 scale. This kit has been very, very extensively modified....I just had to build this baby in this "wild" camoflage pattern:twisted:
    You can see the picture at this link with a later Zero at the same 1:120 scale that was also originally 1:33 scale...
  6. airbob

airbob Member

7. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Alright Bob between you and Ray this is going to get............ummm......out of hand! Ha ha ha ha ha!:grin:

Sometimes I crack myself up!:grin:

Man I think BOTH of those fit TINY criteria! Great job on the Me-109 and both the Dinah and Zero!

8. thewoodengraver

Larry Marshall,
    If you have built even one cardmodel, then you are ready for this challenge. Just take a model you have already built, and build it smaller.
    Sounds simple? It is!

No. Build any model you want...only smaller than intended!

Woah! those not only qualify, they are very nice! Thank you!
  9. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

John Griffin's Tempests are intended to be build in 1:24 scale so if somebody builds it in 1:33 it should still qualify for the chalenge :grin:
  10. The-Jazzman

The-Jazzman Member

50% Build of Webdude's Car's beta patterns
    4 to a sheet

"Does this qualify?"

Anyways... Here is Filmore.. I built him first cause he is the kewlest!
    I'll build Guido next because he is the smallest and to get him outta the way.. But I got a couple other things to finish before hand

George Carlin did the voice of Filmore.
    The license plate reads "51237" -- Carlin's birthday
    and is also the zip code in a town in Iowa named George

"Get your organic fuel here!"

11. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

I love building in smaller scales, and seeing the magic others create in the micro model world!

Here's a freighter I just finished, a re-paint of an old Maly Modelarz design, originally at what I figure to be around 1/400 scale, which I reduced to 1/600 scale, my favorite scale for ship models:

I have put some other photos in a thread here:

This is a little lady I built a while back. It's based on a 1/500 scale kit by Wilhelmshaven which I scanned and reduced to 1/1000 scale...just to see how it would come out.

Sorry about the clarity on that last photo, it was tough to get a clear shot of the close-up. The railings were a challenge, but I rather doubt I would try that again soon.

12. Between you and Ray, I feel as though I'm being sucked down the proverbial rabbit hole into this world of miniature miniatures. They are just SOOOOOOO KEWL!!!

Last night I was playing around with printing one of Rob Carleen's 1/60 scale designs to half size for Phil's TWE Challenge. I'm trying to say 'no' but I just can't :) Will have to get out the Opti-visor for that one and you guys won't even consider it small :)

Cheers --- Larry
  13. thewoodengraver

That is pretty darn incredible! The fact that you even attempted the railings BLOWS ME AWAY. AND, you pulled it off nicely!
    I'm very impressed my friend.
  14. airbob

airbob Member

Little Freighter Build- Wonderful

That is veeeery impressive!!!!:-o Excellent detail on this elegent little freighter!!! EXCELLENT1:yep:
  15. Kevin G

Kevin G Member

Good god you have some huge hands Jim! :-D
    The tweezers setting next to it were impressive until I saw you holding it in your hand. Excelent job!
    I have a hard enough time with rigging at normal scale and here you go doing it at this scale.:-o

Jazzman, Love the tiny Flmore! I have not tried to build one yet but I am pretty sure I won't attempt to reduce them that small. Great job! :-D
  16. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Ok here is my first attempt............

Ray.......... I have a 1/144 printed out...........boogered up the first attempt but I still got 2 complete copies left on the page:grin:

Here's a collage of the Hunter in re-scale and re-colors

Dang............ that's supposed to be trial Winter Camo

Attached Files:

17. thewoodengraver

Geez, sorry buddy, I don't know how I missed that SWEET little van!
    Thanks for that!

That's EXACTLY what I was looking for...a progression of builds from origional to tiny! Great job! Keep going if you can...
  18. Alcides

Alcides Member

Wow !!!

I can't believe your job :-o :-o :-o :-o

man, what do you use to work a microscope?

The hawers are wonderful. Very nice painting schemes. Are you thinking about to share them? I love the Winter came scheme.

19. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

EXCELLENT job, John...I love the way you used different schemes on each different scale, and each one is a gem! Did you use the same weight paper on each one? "Trail," "Trial," who cares, it's a superb camo job!

20. Texman

Texman Guest

Nicely done John. Can't wait to see what you, Rob and the others are coming up with.

You do know that once you break the tiny little barrier, there is no going back!