TWE's HUMONGUS Challenge

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by thewoodengraver, Sep 22, 2006.

1. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

TEXMAN LOOK AWAY!!! COVER YOUR EYES!!! Just kidding buddy!

As usual, I am thinking again (GASP!), here's my next challenge.

I realize some may not like tiny, or some may not be ready for tiny, or some, like me, have no good eyes for tiny. So let's go the other direction...
    :roll:1 rule, print at 200% or better...If you want to make a lifesize motorcycle...GO FOR IT!!!!!!! BE CREATIVE!!!
    I have my own idea for an entry but will take some time to do it.
    No time limit for this challenge either.
  2. thewoodengraver

Durnit! I forgot to add this part... If you want to take your cardmodel design and transfer it to another cardboard, for instance...this is highly encouraged.
  3. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

What would be funny is to take say a Gundam model and make a Halloween costume.

Or an idea I was playing with. A Gonk computer case mod.
  4. TheWebdude

TheWebdude Just a Member

5. TheWebdude

TheWebdude Just a Member

6. bigtom

bigtom Member

I should blow this up by 200%!

I AM finishing up another SR-71 this weekend. Its "Only" 4 ft long...
  7. goney3

goney3 Member

I have been wanting to do that for YEARS! ... but how would you go about doing something like that? ... refridgerator boxes? make a grid and try to scale it up from the print out model? and how would you get the 'human fit-inside' done? I am terrible at scaling things as it is :-?
    Luckily I am good at painting things :-D

The 1:1 scale motorcycle sounded pretty cool. I just wish my small apartment was bigger to store such a thing 8)

Anywho, how many boxes would we need? and where can I find them/buy some? :)
  8. Texman

Texman Guest

Oh the pain! The humanity of it all! It just shouldn't be!! Stop the insanity!
  9. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Check out furniture stores, department stores, or any stores that sell large items. Most of them are more than glad to let you have the large empty cardboard boxes that the large items come in. That way they don't have to pay the trash man to haul them away. :)

I have done that in order to get enough material to make cardboard geodesic dome panels.
  10. thewoodengraver

It's okay Texman, head on over to my tiny challenge and drool on my entry!!!

I knew you would take the bait Webdude, I've been watching Lens-head for awhile...NICE!!!

bigtom, Thanx for that jet!!!!

Goney3, I am going to crop the biggest part of the model I am building and paste on a new page. I use page setup to find out the percentage of origional by choosing "fit to page". I then crop each part and resize, and print the larger parts at the new size. Then I will take them to Kinko's (copy store) and have them blown up. Then I will transfer the new patterns onto the cardboard (or whatever I am using). I'm sure there are different methods...
  11. goney3

goney3 Member

Yeah, I get lost at this point... what do you mean exactly?
    Sorry I am a bit dim on this.
  12. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

BIG? Big, do you say?

*sucks in breath*

13. cbg

cbg Member

something along these lines?

We may wish to take our lead from this example posted on our friend Kancho Iliev's site here.

I'm not up to the task, but evidently there's plenty of free time for TSgt Mark K. Ashley of the Tennessee Air Nat'l Guard. . . Looks almost half the size of the real thing.

Top this, card masochists.

14. thewoodengraver

Goney3, Carbon paper between the graphic and cardboard...trace, trace!

ekuth, LOVE that FRESH desert air ???

cbg, I LOVE YOU MAN!!! That's exactly what I was hoping for!!! Thanx buddy!!!
  15. cbg

cbg Member

or better yet. . .

Phil, etc.

Found something even better. How about a 1/1 Bell Helicopter in cardboard? Say you saw it here first.

16. Dnlgtr

Dnlgtr Member

I have a Large Delta Airliner hanging in my room. Only I did not build it. I got it as partial payment for helping someone move. If i can get a piture of it does that still coulnt?? or do I need to build it myself??

Oh, The plane is about 3 feet long!
  17. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

Does Greelts 1/48 Saturn V count if I print it at 152%???

John John
  18. michik

michik Member

Phil, thought yo got me there?!
    But, Nooooo !!

Here are the sheets, printed at 200%, I guess you'll recognize them! (And I put a 75% version on them, too, after all theer was enough space left)

Attached Files:

19. michik

michik Member

And here are three progress pictures. I about half way through the build, and I'm quite confident of finishing the model this year.

Attached Files:

20. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member