Tweezers shopping

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade' started by Amazyah, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

One of my favorite pairs of tweezers is a set I bought at the local pharmacy.
    They are only about 3 inches long (looking for longer) but it's the long skinny point that I like for working on small stuff.
    They are actually made for pulling splinters.

Anyway, I have seen in various posts, pictures of peoples tweezers that are long and very skinny, coming to a very fine point at the end.
    This is the type of tweezer that I am in the market for and I was wondering if I could get some suggestions as to where I might find them.

I have been looking around on line and found a few to choose from at McMaster-Carr and widget supply. I know there are more out there...any ideas?

2. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Squadron or Micro-Mark

that is where i have gotten some of mine
  3. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Russell............. these are the ones I like to use..........

Attached Files:

4. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Never heard of that one. Do you have a url, Rick?

5. rickstef

rickstef Guest

American Science and Surplus at

good stuff, look at their site, and sign up for their catalog

6. rickstef

rickstef Guest

7. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

John I like that first pair you showed, but I also want one like that that is not self closing.
    Sometimes I want the tweezer to hold the part and sometimes I need to be the one holding it.

Do you remember where you got those?

8. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Thanks, Rick![​IMG]

9. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

10. Gil

Gil Active Member

The following tweezers are the ones that I use the most. The curved jaw tweezer is the most useful but the straights are also used a lot. I've been a Jemco customer for many years now finding the quality of the offered product to be always good at an affordable price.

Here's the URL for the curved jaw tweezer:

This is there home URL:

Best regards,
  11. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Russell...............self closing........from believe it or not........Wal Mart. I like them because it is easier for me to place a part with some force and then release it.

The other two were in a set I think I picked up at Hobby Lobby

Oh......... the paddle ones are really great from bending on a scored edge on a small piece. I am able to get a good 90 degree bend .

12. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Ummm...... WOW Gil........... those really do come to a thin point.
  13. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Mine are called " Miracle Point" I got them at an Army-Navy Surplus.
    Great for surgery!
  14. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

15. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Gil John, Phil, MOS95B, Rick! Thanks to all!
    I have several browser windows open now, checking out some options!

Really cool little tweezers, Phil! They look a lot like my splinter tweezers!

I remember where I saw the pair that really interests me now and that was in a great ship thread, by Jim Krauzlis.
    There was a couple shots with a pair of really needle nosed tweezers in there some where.
    That's the sort I am thinking of for small and tiny stuff as I have 3XL hands![​IMG]

16. shrike

shrike Guest

View attachment 8763

Here is my addition to the thread.
    The pointy ones came from a swap meet a long time ago. They came from India a short while prior to that and were $0.50 They originally had razor sharp points that didn't line up very well. A little bit of work with some sandpaper and I have a set that are just pointy enough, but not too pointy.

The square ones just showed up. Probably came from the makeup counter somewhere. The inside of the jaws have been polished, and I use them alot to "pinch weld" seams to joining strips by squeezing together and sliding them along the joint.

The odd ones in the back are something I've been experimenting with to use as a bending brake for tabs and such. They are just a couple strips of brass about 15mm long epoxied to a pair of cheap tweezers. I need to dress the edges down a little, but so far so good.

Going into beauty supply stores with the women folk, I always look at teh tweezer selection. Some of them are vary high quality, but I'm not ready to spend $23 for a set of tweezers, no matter who endorses them or how long the warranty is.

Attached Files:

17. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

Coming late to this one. I used to be a watchmaker and do jewelry repair. I used very fine point tweezers called hairspring tweezers for adjusting tiny delicate hairsprings in mechanical watches. Several companies, Rio Grande, Jules Borel and Casker come to mind offhand. A Google search for jewelry tools and watch repair tools should yield any number of hits. All the different kinds of tweezers are amazing. They aren't cheap but are of high quality and will last forever.

18. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Shrike, I love the one you made with the brass additions! Great break tweezers!
    Sometimes the best way to get exactly what you want is to just make them yourself!

19. horologium

horologium New Member

Got to and look at the watchmakers tweezers, particulary the hairspring tweezers.
  20. horologium

horologium New Member

Whoops, Elliott beat me to it! Where did you work? I am also a watchmaker!