Tutorial writeup request

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by cgutzmer, Jan 9, 2008.

1. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I would like to ask a huge favor of anyone that might have some time.... This was requested of me a while ago and i just havent been able to get to it.

The model railroaders over at the Gauge are very inerested in some of our models. Mostly because they can be resized to fit any size railroad :)

I am looking for someone to write up a tutorial for both the download area and the WIKI (a much neglected area) on how to resize the models up or down. I know the question pops up here on occasion but digging through the mountains of threads can be daunting.

Please include links to useful calculators if you have one. I have an offline one - I gotta see where I got it (I hope) and will shoot that over to whomever offers to do a nice write up. (If someone does)
  2. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

I'm not very familiar with how the Railroaders scale things N, O, HO....?

But this is how I did the Enterprise, Klingon D-7, Botany Bay and ROM BOP.

Say I have a 1:650 scale ship and I want a 1:350 scale ship. My scale is moving up, so I'm up-sizing all of the measurements. To start I divide my scales. 650/350 = 1.8571428, I round up to 1.86. This gives me my factor. It doesn't matter that I'm diving the larger scale into the smaller scale, all that matters is my factor. This is my multiplier, or divisor if I'm going down in scale. If the diameter of my saucer at 1:650 is 7.53" and I mulitply up I get approx 14" for 1:350 scale.

All of my measurements are multiplied by the same factor.

All angles stay the same. If I have a 45 degree angle on one part, that angle is going to stay the same on the large part. the only difference is going to be the measurements on the leading and trailing edges.

Most times I just get my factor and scan the part to be enlarged and multiply the entire scan by that factor. This works great with paper models, because they start out on a single plane, but the same process can be used to enlarge, or reduce.

Everything will be multiplied by the factor, length, width, height, diameter...etc...

Perhaps I'm over simplifying this, but it's the way I do it.

Hope this helps and isn't to vague.

Any questions, let me know.
  3. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Here are a couple of offline calculators for downloading:

Here is an online scale conversion calculator that has scales like O, HO, N, etc. specifically listed:
    Hobby Calculator
    There is a note at the bottom of the page about how to save the calculator for offline usage.
  4. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

The way I do it...... Final scale / Initial scale = enlarge (reduction) ratio, simple as that......

...And yea, we need more on the WIKI!!!
  5. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I hope to start breathing some life into the WIKI - Lex - would you be willing to write up a short article for the wiki?

What would be really cool is if you could use a real world example like using something from our download area that we know the scale of and convert it to like HO scale for a train layout. I think that would be awesome.
  6. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

7. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

very cool, thanks!
  8. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

I think I will continue working on the Wiki... Which at this stage I seriously think it's pretty hopeless already......... There is no point in working on something that no one actually coming in and reads
  9. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Yeah, its very underutilized. I am hoping that after it gets more info in there it will be used a lot more. As it stands the links that are in there should be enough to generate a lot of traffic but alas - its not very visibile unless you know to look. Gonna have to try and publicize it more somehow.
  10. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

...Like putting it in our signature? :D
  11. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Link on home page

Chris, I think it needs more prominent links on the home pages, as in the forum.zealot.com home page, and the home pages for the specific categories.

As far as publicizing it goes, it's as much "selling" it, as in letting people know why they might want to use it. I tend to associate wiki's with encyclopedias, or dictionaries.

Also, is there somewhere people can sign up for, or subscribe to, a "what's new in the Wiki" notification?