Turntables

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
Bill;

My turntable would be close enough to the edge that I could probably cobble together a crank that would extend from just under the edge of the benchwork where it wouldn't be bumped to the turntable. I'm trying to visualize how I would hook it in on the turntable end. I seem to think I have seen something like that, possibly on a Walthers turntable kit. I'll have to go back and do some research as I don't really recall where I think I saw it.

There is supposedly a company that makes the indexing unit for my Diamond Scale turntable, but I have had zero luck trying to find out who it is and how to reach them. I understand the unit is rather high dollar, but it is also something on the layout that ought to be done right, I think. As I said before, if I can figure out who the company is and how much the unit actually costs that may be yet another reason to put off putting in the turntable until later when my hobby money solvency is in better shape:D :D

Bob

I have read every post so far on turntables and most people either have one and use it, or don't have one and don't use it. I for one have one but never use it, and in fact it is installed on my layout, but not as a working piece of equipment but rather a non working piece of scenery. I took my turntable and pit, placed it in a hole right behind my engine facilities, added lots of junk, weeds, cracks, weathering, and broken windows. I also built a crumbled old foundation where the roundhouse had been and believe me I get more then one comment from it...Not only is it remeniciant(??) of a steam era long passed, but lends to the scenery to show that my railroad has been around for a long time. I've also thrown old wheelsets and rusted metal into it. So I don't want to use it, I don't need to use it, but my scene on the other hand depends on it, and benefits from it...
KEEP ON THE RAILS
Ed Burchell
Iron Ridge Railroad

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Bob, I too can't seem to recall the name of the company which had ads in Model Railroader every month for an indexing unit. I think New York was in the name. The cost was about $300. I'm inclined to think that's the way I am going to go when the time comes. I recall checking their website and reading about the unit. It's expensive and I know there are other ways, but cost is always relative. I buy one brass loco a year, if I skip a year I'm all set. Or, I handlay my turnouts, I have done about 20 so far, with another 20 at least to go, so that pays for it. When all else fails, rationalize! I figure another couple years before I have to wory about it. By the way, what are you doing on the computer? Shouldn't you be under your layout with a sodering iron? Just kidding of course!

Gary

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
Rationalize is my very favorite word in railroading:rolleyes: :rolleyes: My wife's favorites words are: you spent HOW MUCH !!!!

I amy try contacting MR one of these days to see if they can shed some light on the company name and location. May start another thread here on the Gauge to see if any others might be able to help us.

And yes, I should be underneath the table soldering away, but I'm trying to get some other things caught up before we leave for Tennessee to see grandchildren over Easter weekend. It is difficult for me to resist when a Gauge message comes in:cool: :cool:

Bob

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
Gary et al;

I wonder if an outfit called CMR (custom model railroads) in Baltimore is who makes the indexing for the turntables. I don't know why that just clicked in my weak mind. I'm going to do some looking to see if I can find a website for them. Wonder if they'd build my turntable kit too if I bought one of their indexing machines :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D :D :cool: :cool:

Bob

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Seems everyone considers a turntable valid only if there is a roundhouse close by. Turntables also exist at the end af a line to turn a loco for the return trip. I'm still considering dropping the backboard of my righthand module and extending the scene back onto the table for the narrow gauge loop. The thought was to include a turntable in the scene, half in the ground, and half on timber supports on a river bank.

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
Oh, I agree with what sumpter 250 says about turntables and roundhouses. If I decide to use the second smaller turntable at the end of my spur there will be no roundhouse. There was a good article in one of the magazines (MR/RMC/etc) not too long ago showing the crew hand cranking a turntable with a steamer on it for their return trip. I think it was somewhere up in the NE part of the USA. I would think all you would need to represent that sort of turntable arrangement would be to have fuel and possibly sand available for replentishment.

Bob

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
Will be most happy to post whatever I learn. I agree with what Gary said earlier that if you ARE going to use a turntable, especially if it is going to be a focus of your layout, it is worth spending the money (when I have it!) to do it the right way. If that is to incorporate an indexing system, then so be it.

I would even be so inclined to purchase the turntable kit and the indexing system and hire someone to put it all together, knowing that it has been done exactly the way intended. I want to have the hands on experience of doing everything myself that I possibly can, but I think too that we need to recognize when we need help (I have a loooooong list!) we are not too proud to ask someone upon whom you can depend to make it right.

Bob

Dave Flinn

Dec 26, 2000
Lansing, NY USA
www.lehighvalleyrr.com
Originally posted by Bob Collins
I want to have the hands on experience of doing everything myself that I possibly can, but I think too that we need to recognize when we need help (I have a loooooong list!) we are not too proud to ask someone upon whom you can depend to make it right.

Bob:

I'm on your side, in that regard; but I think that could open a whole new can of worms (i.e. new discussion) here. As I've said before, I am an operator, not a builder, so any help I can get I will use. I've already had my local shop install DCC decoders in all my motive power, for example.

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
After viewing the link provided by Bill and the one I provided above, I am inclined to say I can build the turntable and feel confident I can make it work properly as long as I take my time and don't rush it. If you take a look at the photos of the underside of the turntable in the site Bill provided, specifically at the contacts used to index it, this is what I would rather avoid. The turntable itself will provide plenty of challenge, I would rather use an indexing system which does not require installation of contacts. The NYRS system uses a stepper motor that (according to the webpage) has about 8 steps in the width of a rail. You program for each approach track (I assume you line it up once by eye then set the location) and after that you just push a button for a given track. Definately check out both sites if you are interested in pursuing this. As for me, I think this project is still two years away, I will not buy the indexing unit until I have built the turntable and know it will work correctly, and there are other projects ahead of it. I am four years into a ten year plan. And pretty much on schedule!

Gary