Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by COX 47, Apr 25, 2008.

1. COX 47

COX 47 Member

This is a turntable I have been working on off and on for a couple of years..The pit is a round cake pan from wally world..The bridge is wood with Atlas bridges cut apart and glued to it...It turns on a 1/4 inch plug to turn on and carry the wiring also makes it easy to remove bridge if you need to...

Cox 47
  2. mcbane666

mcbane666 Member

Thats a great idea, love the electrical.
  3. bigsteel

bigsteel Call me Mr.Tinkertrain

the electrical connection is genius,i never thought of the shaft becoming the electrical connector also.--josh
  4. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Active Member

How did you isolate it electrically from the metal pan?
  5. COX 47

COX 47 Member

MT. Man....There is a plywood disc calked in the bottom of the cake pan and the female conector is mounted in the plywood...This isn't a very good photo but it shows the bottom....Cox 47

6. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

OK - now that's genius.
  7. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

I'm very impressed with the pie plate idea and the electronics. I'm expecting a run on pie plates at Walmart now! :) Really nice work!
  8. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Active Member

Ah, so...Grasshopper! Very nicely done! :thumb:

I especially like the concept as a means of adding a turntable to a layout at a later date. Just cut a hole, drop in the pan arrangement and fasten in place. The whole thing could hang beneath the layout without a problem.
  9. TrainNut

TrainNut Ditat Deus

Knowing me, I'd end up going through 10 pans before I finally managed to get that hole drilled perfectly in the center!
  10. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

Very nicely done.....Thanks for the idea...!!!
    Have you come up with a way of turning the bridge..?? Or will this be an ol' timer type...Man powered..?
  11. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

Nice job.
    Does your wife know you used her favorite cake pan?
  12. COX 47

COX 47 Member

I have never thought about powering it...probaly "Armstrong" .....lol!....I kept peace with my wife the pans came in packs of two and I gave her the other for her birthday....Cox 47
  13. b28_82

b28_82 Member

wow! a pie pan for a birthday present? Creative