Turnouts in streets

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
A lot of you know handlay a lot of my turnouts. I am faced with having to install two turnouts in street trackage. Somewhere in the cobwebs of my mind I seem to remember that some industrial switches use only one point. I would like to see if anyone can point me(haha) to information on this. One of the things I think ruins the appearance of model railroads I've seen with switches in pavement has been the wide gaps required for the point throw. If anyone has thoughts on this, please post them.

Thanks, Gary

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Marty, Those are awesome photos, thanks! I'm getting all worked up to build this scene now. Wish I wasn't going away next week! But it will have to wait. Thanks again.

Gary

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Gary:
I think single points may be available from a hobby shop that caters to trolley modellers. They seem to come and go as an enthusiastic modeller markets them and then goes bust.:mad:
It looks as if the shots are all of trolley lines; certainly they were the main users of single point switches. Note that you also need a switch mate for the other side to carry the wheels through.
If you were talking about steam railroads, all the ones I remember used double point switches, with the lever in between the points, recessed into the street. You could always claim to have taken the track over from a trolley line. :)
If you go for the single point, each of your locos will have to carry a "switch iron" which is a large crowbar that you push between the point and the nearest rail and heave. Flatten the end of a piece of wire and wrap the other end around some long nosed pliers to make the handle.