Turnout question

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by ClarkW, Jun 15, 2005.

  1. ClarkW

    ClarkW New Member


    I need some help. I have an Atlas 150-543 and a 150-542 Snap Switche that I would like to replace with a Peco or Walther turnout. These are code 83 swithces.

    Are the #4, #5, #6 or what? How do I convert a 150-543 to the correct # switch?

    Thanks for looking.

  2. MasonJar

    MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

    Unfortunately the Snap switches have no direct numbered equivalent. They are also designed to replace part of an 18" radius curve, whereas regular turnouts have straight diverging routes. The closest you can come is probably a #4 or #5, or Peco small.

    The only real way to replace them is to cut and fit, and to realign the track a little bit.

  3. ClarkW

    ClarkW New Member


    Thanks for the response. I will just take my snap switch with me and get the closest thing, then tweak the incoming and outgoing track sections to match.


  4. 60103

    60103 Pooh Bah

    Clark: I think that, no matter what you do, an 18" radius switch will be much sharper than even a #4.
    The switch number is the amount of separation -- basically the distance along the rail to get a unit of separation. A #4 is about 14 degrees. You might try seeing what the separation on a snap switch is, but the whole geometry of your layout will have to change.
  5. Russ Bellinis

    Russ Bellinis Active Member

    I think I've read in the past that the Atlas Snap Switch is a #4.5, but I'm not sure.
  6. 60103

    60103 Pooh Bah

    Russ, it's the Atlas "#4" that's really a 4.5. The Snap switch has no number because you can't measure it. I'm not even sure what the angle is that the rail comes off the end -- is it 22 1/2 degrees?

Share This Page