turnout question here

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
:confused: what kind of turnouts should i use for my steel mill and mainline the mill will be serviced by 4 axled deisels with steam engines and large 6 axled deisels like E-6's on the mainline dropping off materials. i was thinking that i should put #4's for the yard since only small deisels are there.and #6's for the mainline and branchline work for my lare 2-6-6-2's and 2-8-4's and E-6's in such.does this sound correct or should i bump up the yard turnouts to number #5's? oh and if this helps i dont plan on running my e-6's or any other 6 axled deisel in the yard , only on the mainine for loading and unloading.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Ya, #6's sound good for the mainline and branching off the mainline into the yard. #4's would also be ok for the yard and any other tracks you will have around the steel mill since you won't be running anything bigger than 4 axles locos through them.

What scale are you modeling in? HO (C100 or C83) or N (C80 or C55) scale? Do they make #5 turnouts in HO? I know they make them in N scale for C55.

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
i am modeling in ho scale.i think they make number 5 turnouts for ho but im not sure who does or where to buy them.oh and my track is code 100 and i might do code 83 an braches but im not sure yet

Russ Bellinis

The Atlas snap switch is nominally a #4, but in actuallity is a #4.5. #4's will work fine in a yard. If you are planning to make up a train in the yard with your yard switcher, and then hook up long diesels or big steam, you would want to use #6's for your yard lead and around any engine facilities you model.

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
i think since im going to have large and small loco power, do you think i could use # 4's for the yard and assemble a train in there and have a passing siding on the mainline with #6 turnouts.do you think i could do that since ill probably never have a large loco actually IN the yard just next to it on a siding waiting for loading or unloading

doctorwayne

Walthers (Shinohara) offers #5 switches. If you're cramped for space, #4's are okay for in-plant use, but anywhere that you do have room, a #6 will look better. And I wouldn't worry too much about using code 100 track, as many protoype steel plants used heavy rail.

Wayne

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
i think since i am a little cramped for a good sized stub ended yard (10ft) with a turn on one side.im going to use walthers #5 turnout like you said doctorwyne and code 100 track with #6 turnouts on the mainline for my larger locos unlike the yard using nothing but gp-9's and others like them.ill post the layout later with just track and see what yall think.its in xtrkcad and does anyone know how to post xtrkcad:eek:ops: half of it is upper ohio and virginia type mountanious terrain and the other half is the steel mill.