Turnout #6

CN1

Peco is good of course. How about Atlas? I have been told the Atals turnout cause derailments.:confused:

I have both on my layout. All the Pecos were replacements of Atlas that I couldn't get to work flawlessly. I have about 5 pecos and 20 atlas now. My next expansion will be all Pecos - they have such a firm closure you never have to worry about them. On my Atlas turnouts, I throw the ground switch and then always push the points over with one finger hoping to get a good closure.

The value for me is in the Pecos.

alkcnw

I used a few Pecos on my old layout and liked them fine. Trouble is the new layout is code 83 and Pecos dosn't make code 83.:cool:

interurban

There is buy Peco:D

We used Atlas on the Traction Model and we all said we should have used Peco as Peco ARE built Stronger.:p

I like the Shinoharas. I use tortoises and the key to the closure pressure is throwing away the flimsy spring wire they provide and using .055 dia. srping wire. The larger diameter is stronger and holds the rail tight. Sometimes I still have to tune the rails with a file.

DOG

Russ Bellinis

I've posted this before in other areas of the gauge, but I'll mention it again. The problem I've had with Atlas is that the sheet metal stampings they use for points will loosen up over time (not much time either) and then the points layover and widen out of gauge.

David Rosser

Based on all the replies there seems to be agreement that a Peco or Shinohara is a more prefect turnout than an Atlas, but there may be other ways to look at it. We have 39 turnouts, all Atlas, #4 and #6. Space required some tight moves and #4's were the only way in some spots. The oldest 4 are about 30 years old and are connected to old brass track on fiber ties (really old!). In three decades and a total at this point of 39 units, we have only replaced 1turnout, because it would not close correctly, and one solenoid that just failed.
We still have one spot where a Bachmann Spectrum K4s will derail in reverse as it goes through the turnout, but I did not replace that one because a Mantua 0-4-0, an MDC 0-6-0, an AHM 4-8-2, and a Bowser 2-10-0 with the very long tender, and all diesels have no problem there. At one other spot a Bachmann Spectrum FM 15-44 diesel must move very slowly throught the turnout to stay on track, but no other locos, steam or diesel have any problem. The fault may be Atlas or more likely Bach. Spectrum. But, we just do not seem to have any pervasive Atlas problem. Another consideration is cost. I don't know the total cost of Peco or Shinohara plus motor plus remote, but I suspect that the Atlas cost is lower: multiply it by 39 and the railroad budget may look better. Dave

David,

I think you bring up some good points (pardon the pun). About 10 years ago I tried my hand at building a 4x8 N scale layout using an Atlas track plan. The turnouts worked very well. I was using DC and wired up 17 switches. The Kato Mikado's ran beautifully through every turnout.

Today, I am modeling HO (my first layout) using the joist, girder and riser method. I like the Shinoharas (code 83) and the Tortoise combo because the track and turnouts look more realistic to me. I also like the way the Tortoises operate. I didn't like the "snap" sound and the switch machine attached the turnout.

I do aqree that cost is a factor. An Atlas setup is more than 50% less expensive than a Shinohara turnout and Tortoise (about a $33.00 per turnout/tortoise).

As always, modeling is all about what you like best and feel satisfied with on your personal layout. And as long as you're having fun, that's all that matters!

DOG

jon-monon

Originally posted by David Rosser
Another consideration is cost. I don't know the total cost of Peco or Shinohara plus motor plus remote, but I suspect that the Atlas cost is lower: multiply it by 39 and the railroad budget may look better. Dave

Not to mention the cost of all the other track, flex or sectional. In HO you can get flex track for around $2 per 3 ft section. Other brands usually are at least double.

Woodie

If a particular brand of turnout was reknown for derailiments, then they wouldn't sell any of them.

I reckon the way they are liad has far more impact on their derailing capacity than the actual brand or the way they are made. However, some turnouts are a bit more tolerant to laying techniques than others, I suppose.:rolleyes:

I use Peco.