Turning circle of an n scale train

Krilli

hey, i'm kinda new to this stuff, i was just wondering how many inches in diameter is the smallest turning circle of an n scale train?? i just need to know before i spend 400 bucks on a train set that i might not have enough room for. Cheers Timo

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Standard minimum radius is 9 3/4. You can however make it a little tighter by using flex track. I've personally gone as tight as 7" but it really limits you to what you can run around that tight of a curve. Stick with the 9 3/4.

nolatron

It also depends on what type of engines and rolling stock you are running. 6-axle diesels and long passenger cars or unit cars like double stacks like probably a 11" bare minimum.

Krilli

thanks, i just gotta work within a 47" by about 24" so something like 9"- 9 3/4" would prob be my max. i got no room in the house, dad occupy the studio with his machinery. so i'm only limited to my desk in my room :( shouldnt be too long before i'm up n kickin on this project.
Cheers Timo

Krilli

yeah i did put that into thought n included them into the 24"X47", i dont want to go too far over the table. sucks cause i gotta find somewhere else for my laptop and sound system :(

Mountain Man

It's kind of an oddball thought, but how much room do you have over your desk?

You might be able to build a platform over your desk that allows the desk to remain entirely free while giving you expanded space. :confused:

Krilli

haha na i still gotta find somewhere to store it cause it cant sit in my room for ever. i've allowing for a few more inches in width. i've already started my floor plan. might go get myself a new train this week or next, already got some trees n lights in the mail :D

hey has anyone done a beach scene yet??? cause i'm sticking one in, would like some tips if anyone has any. cheers

Mountain Man

Sure:

1. Don't use real water.

2. Keep all sand and other small particulates away from all electronic devices.

3. Remember that electric motors, even tiny ones, generate magnetic fields. If you are not sure how well shielded your computer is, avoid finding out the hard way.

:cool:

2-8-2

I was going to start my own thread, but the question is of the same topic.

I have a 2-6-6-2 Mallet that I want to use on my layout to run coal unit trains (among other things). Is an 11" radius going to be large enough for this huge engine? I'm not so worried about the cars, as I'm using mostly 33' hoppers.

And then a second question: If 11" is okay, or if I need to go to 17" or even bigger, should I use that as a standard for all radii? Or should I just try to limit the Mallet for coal use, then only make the turns along that route the larger size?

jesso

Krilli,
You don't need to move your computer! (or your speakers)sign1
31613d1170487542-atwork.jpg

This was one of the first layouts I ever built. It is a simple loop with 9 3/4 track, It runs everything that I own so far, however the only steam engine I own is a Thomas.

Can't wait to see your progress.

Krilli

hahaha yeah i had a look at that, pretty sweet but i got a laptop, i guess that gives me an opportunity to be creative lol

haha na i dont really wanna mix them together, plus i've been delayed with my train stuff, just about to get my motor bike license n' i aint the worlds richest guy so all my train money gotta go to that so i can get a full time job to fund it :D oh well more time to think about it. lol