TurboCad stuff Gil?

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by RyanShort1, Nov 30, 2005.

1. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

I finally learned how to do some more stuff with TurboCad's 3d options such as extruding. However, when I was trying to put the resulting fuselage portions (which seemed fairly simple to me) into Pepakura, the result was rather yucky looking... Seems that TurboCad was creating too many lines/triangles inside the parts. Any ideas on how I can get TurboCad to simplify these parts? Will see if I can post some screenshots sometime later this week.

2. Gil

Gil Active Member

Yes, TC is inserting the triangles. This is what makes TC a real pain in that you the user have to insure that the number of segments per cross section is the same as the next in the loft. You have to use enough segments to remain true to the cross senctional curves but few enough to make unfolding in Pepakura manageable. This is one of the major reasons I moved to Rhino.

Select a lofted section and right click into properties> lofting shape> surface options> and look at the number of approximation lines. Set the value to zero and see if Pepakura digests it properly.

3. hpept

hpept Member

maybe this is not the right place to write this, but here it goes. I've found an excellent combination of softwares that allows to start from a 3d virtual model and end with a real paper model.
    Currently i'm using the couple Blender+Pepakura
    Blender is a really excellent software with infinite performance/cost ratio... infact it's free :-D . Although the interface can be a little difficult at first glance, after you have learned the basics everything goes on quite smooth. When the model is ready i export it in lightwave format (.lwo) which i found give less problems in the conversion wrt 3DS format. Then i open it with pepakura and the trick is done... well, almost since some models may require alot of parts rearrangment before being remotely close to cutability. One thing to pay attention is the orientation of the surfaces normals in the virtual model. Infact if a surface has an inverted normal pepakura interprets its edges as a discontinuity and the paper model will be cut on that edge. So before exporting just check with the "show normal" function that all the normals are correclty oriented outwards the surfaces.
    If you need a modeling software with more accuracy, there's an interesting software used in mechanical design. The design approach is slightly different wrt to 3DStudio and similar modelling software, since it's thought to model solids instead of surfaces, but it can be very powerful. The name is Alibre Design Express and can be downloaded at:
    For people who already knows, the interface is amazingly similar to ProEngineer. Shapes can be accurately designed with infinite precision and measurements can be changed at any time since the software is a parametric CAD.
  4. Maurice

Maurice Member

and now for the right answer

TurboCad generates the lofting as a solid.
    Leave it that way.
    Export only the lofting and do not include the lofting curves which are the source of the muckiness.