Tunnel Motors on the BN High Prairie Sub!!

hemiadda2d

Jun 15, 2003
Cheyenne, WY
www.railimages.com
A local railfan looking to catch the elusive RS-3 on the BN High Prairie Sub took these shots today: He never did see the RS-3.... Must be lurking in the shops...

Here's the DRGW units, as they arrived in Hauser, WA this afternoon:
Sharp-eyed railfans will note DRGW 5510, an SD50 in consist, trailing:
ads.jpg

The local yard engine crew took the liberty of lining the brand new engines side by side, to many foamers' delight:
adw.jpg

And a last head-on shot, as they were headed east toward Sandpoint, ID:
adt.jpg

More here! Railimages N

hemiadda2d

Jun 15, 2003
Cheyenne, WY
www.railimages.com
I used aperture priority to get theses shots. It needed depth of field, so I had to crank of the dial to f8, as high as she'll go. I think it turned out nice. No tripod, just creative techniques in holding the camera still with various things, and the self-timer made it happen minus shake. You got a burger to go with that shake??
Thanks!

Belmarvalley

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
hemiadda2d said:
I used aperture priority to get theses shots. It needed depth of field, so I had to crank of the dial to f8, as high as she'll go. I think it turned out nice. No tripod, just creative techniques in holding the camera still with various things, and the self-timer made it happen minus shake. You got a burger to go with that shake??
Thanks!

I always have to prop the camera on something and use the remote to keep the shakes off my menu. :D

Nice shots!

hemiadda2d

Jun 15, 2003
Cheyenne, WY
www.railimages.com
Railfanning on the BN High Prairie Sub!

Our faithful railfan, once again dropped by the fill near Athol, ID to catch more action:
A loaded autorack train tears by at track speed behind 5 hard-charging SD40-2's:
abx.jpg

A local job out of Coure D'Alene, ID hauls a short string of GN Western Fruit Expess reefers towards the large cut near Granite, ID:
acb.jpg

A cut of heavy woodchip loads slowly grinds by the camera, behind a matched set of CB&Q SD40's!
aby.jpg

A dog's breakfast lashup of 4-axle units hustle westbound empty centerbeams by at track speed:
abv.jpg

alphanumeric

Jun 6, 2004
I love the second grewp of photos! very nice stuff.. I like the multipul lashups.. especially of those 5 BN's!

that is almost realistic of how it works here.. either they lash up 4 3axle diesels, or 6 older 2axle diesels..

hemiadda2d

Jun 15, 2003
Cheyenne, WY
www.railimages.com
Thanks, folks!
I would have to have one heckuva train to need 5 SD40-2's on the point.... Those 17 autoracks behind require only two units. One unit alone slips, as the cars are heavily weighted. Prolly too heavy, but boy, do they run well!

Belmarvalley

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
Great photo's Hemi! :thumb: Good to see that there are pleanty of railfans along your pike.

The only thing that could possibly make your photos any better is for them to feature a string of N&W high-hood units in front of a long coal train... ;) :D

So what kind of camera is behind these photos?

hemiadda2d

Jun 15, 2003
Cheyenne, WY
www.railimages.com
Guys,
Thanks for the kind words.

fifer,
That's the way they come outta the box, all I did, was add the supplied cab sun shades. They even come with factory-installed MT couplers!
Belmarvalley,
The camera is a Fujifilm Finepix S5000. About 380 for most online retailers, prolly cheaper, too. I used Aperture prioroty to shoot the above photos. I cranked the aperture as high (f8) as she'd go, set the shutter speed accordingly, set the self-timer, and fired the button. All I had for light are cheapo 4' shop lites, cheapo flourescent 40W bulbs. See a trend here? :)

hemiadda2d

Jun 15, 2003
Cheyenne, WY
www.railimages.com
I sure am! I have been busy building structure kits for a club show this saturday... Lessee... all Walther's kits--Mountain Lumber Co. Goldenflame Fuel Co. Walton & Sons Lumber co, and Farmer's Co-op grain elevator..... All built, and weathered. Maybe some pics will be taken if I have time at the show, of the finished result, but I wanna take pics of them on my layout....

hemiadda2d

Jun 15, 2003
Cheyenne, WY
www.railimages.com
Thanks, Robin!
Actually, with summer heating up, literally/figuratively, I have been busy lately. In between paintball games, weddings/other outings, BBQ's, and railfanning I don't have much time even during the week to play trains! Summer is too busy at times.