Tunnel liner question?

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by trainsteve2435, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Hello everyone, i know this has been asked before, but how is the easiest and cheapest way to create a tunnel liner? The section i need one is pretty big and i cant see makeing those plaster liners. It would take me a month just to cast enough of them. Has anyone out there made theirs a different way? Thanks!
  2. LongIslandTom

LongIslandTom Member

Do you mean the insides of a tunnel?

That's easy.. Take a section of PVC pipe (available at your local Home Depot) of the proper diameter, cut it to the length of the tunnel, then make a single cut lengthwise so you can spread it apart to seat alongside the roadbed. Voila!
  3. Hey Tom, thanks and yes, the inside. That would work, but my tunnel is in a big curve. Thanks for the great idea!:wave:
  4. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

Unless you are running a camera on your train, you don't really need to model the whole tunnel liner, just the part that you can see from the outside of the portal.
  5. jflessne

jflessne Member

I could be wrong but I don't see a reason to put liners all the way thru your tunnel. I've seen maybe the first 6 inches of either end and that's it. Unless you have a cut out to grab those derailed trains. :)

I hear the woodland scenic liners are really easy to use.
  6. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

I just spray the inside with flat black paint.
  7. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

8. jflessne

jflessne Member

Great Idea. Also checked out your site. I'm a fellow train watcher. Not really fond of operations.
  9. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

Oh, that's not my site, That's David Holsinger's site. :oops: IT's a great site with a nice layout! :thumb: