Tugboat model

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by spitfire, Mar 3, 2005.

1. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Here's my latest project - a tugboat for the Keating Channel area of my layout. This is a resin kit from Artitec, and although it has beautiful detailing and crisp casting of the parts it was a royal pain to separate some of the parts from the resin backing they came on. Basically, everthing except the hull, was cast as little raised bits on a sheet of resin, which had to be sanded down from the back to release the pieces. Not fun, and not accurate either, as sanding by hand causes some areas to be thicker than others.

However, I am happy now that it's finished, and I love all the little fittings, turnbuckles and wheels that came with the kit. I photoshopped a little water into the photo, but the rest is unaltered.

Attached Files:

• tug2.jpg
      File size:
      24.9 KB
  2. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

I love it Val. What awesome work! Did you paint it or did it come that way?

3. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Excellent work Val!!!
  4. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

I painted it Gary. It was that yellowish resin colour. First I hit it with a coat of grey primer, then the other colours. The white took 3 coats to get an even coverage.

5. interurban

interurban Active Member

Well done Val, I can here the darn seagulls now!!! :thumb:
  6. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

Looks Really Good Val :thumb: :thumb:
  7. TrainClown

TrainClown Member

That's a tug on me heart ;) Don't go gettin' bit by the boat buildin' bug, now. Trains is a crewel enough master. He he heee!

Nice job though. :D

8. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

You have a right to be! Its a beaut! Nice work Val.
  9. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

That's great!! :) :) Nice Work :)
  10. brakie

brakie Active Member

TOOT! TOOT! Looks good Val! :thumb: I really like your water!! :thumb:
  11. capt_turk

capt_turk Member

I can hear the triple expansion steam engine clicking and chuffing. Smell that coal smoke and hot oil.
  12. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

A great looking model Val. Have you named her yet?
  13. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Thanks everyone! :wave:

Brakie, that is Photoshop water. I certainly hope when I do my model water it looks that good.

Robin, I have named her "Annie", as in Tugboat Annie. Most of the real work boats around here have pretty boring names, like the Fred Scanlon etc. They seem to be named after city hall beaurocrats or industrial leaders, but I decided Annie suited me better. I am going to print some decals with the name, but I'm waiting until I have a few more decals to do first.

14. 2slim

2slim Member

Now fess up gal, that's bathtub water if I ever seen it!!!! :D :D :thumb:

15. belg

belg Member

Val I guess Ralph REALLY like your tug,I think it looks great as well and was hoping you took a shot of the resin pieces as they came to you as this does sound like slow tedious way to have to work. Thanks Pat
  16. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Pat, unfortunately I have no progress shots of the project. I have to start doing that. All I can show you is the mast, which I didn't use. Here it is.

Attached Files:

17. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

:D I DID really really like it! For those who come later Pat is referring to my thrice duplicated post that I have since reduced to one. :oops:
  18. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

:sleeping: :sleeping: :eek: OK! I completely missed this one! :oops:

Annie is a good name, and no orphan that! Very nicely done! :thumb: :thumb:
    Now you'll have to find her a good berth in a safe harbor, with all the ammenities
    An old, but not unrepairable pier, with some solid pilings to rub against, and some "stuff" here and there to make the place look "lived in" :D :D
  19. jmarksbery

jmarksbery Active Member

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  20. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Pete, that's why I'm building the marine supply. :)