Tuesday the Third and Do You Read?

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Good morning folks

I am sitting here waiting for the new refrigerator to be delivered. Last night I worked on the farm house for the Farm House Diorama. I haven’t done much on that in the past six months. I attached the roof and porch to the house.

Do you read or subscribe to any model railroad magazines and which ones?

I currently subscribe to Model Railroader and Railroad Model Craftsman. I have been subscribing to both magazines for the last five years or so. When I get a chance I pick up Garden Railways. Unfortunately for me I have no LHS close by that I visit. The one bookstore that used to carry a great selection of modeling magazines closed about three years ago and I have not found a replacement for it.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Model Railroader, of course, and occasionally I'll pick up a copy of N Scale Magazine or N Scale Railroading from my LHS. The problem there is that I rarely go there so I rarely get to see a copy.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I'm enjoying a gift subscription to Model Railroader. I subscribed to TRAINS for two years to support the neighbor kid who was selling subscriptions for school. When I'm not subscribing I look over each month's issue at the store to see if I want to buy it.
Ralph

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
No subscriptions as yet, but I do buy some books, and also many back issues from the local club. I have MR as old as 1946, and as new as the current year -- at $0.25 each, you can't go wrong!

My most recent book acquisition is an original copy of the 1930-31 Report of the Royal Commission on the State of Railways and Transportation in Canada. Very interesting read! They note in several places how the improvement of highways, and "new" air transportation services could pose a threat to railway shipping.

Andrew

lionelfan

Nov 3, 2005
CLEVELAND,OHIO
I usually buy O Guage Railroad. I get Model Railroader, Railroad Model Craftsman and Trains at my local library. I look over some other rail magazines at Borders and if interested I will purchase.

fsm1000

Jun 4, 2006
Coquitlam BC
fsm1000.googlepages.com
With the price of magazines I found I saved enough to buy stuff for my layout if I didn't buy magazines. So I stopped buying them a while ago now.
At 6 to 10 bucks a pop I can save 25 to 50 bucks a month not buying any. In 6 months I was able to buy a power supply, track etc to start my layout.

nolatron

Nov 17, 2004
Katy, TX
railroad.sodh.net
I have a subscription to Model Railroader and Garden Railways. I'll also pick up a copy of N-Scale Railroading at LHS if I see the new issue.

With my plans for a Garden railroad scrapped, I'll probably cancel GR at the end of the subscription this year.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I used to subscribe to Model Railroader and Railroad Model Craftsman. My interest is in the Santa Fe, particularly in the mid 50's, and I found that the national magazines covered a lot of stuff that didn't apply to what I was doing and didn't cover a lot of what I was doing. It is understandable that they would by necessity need to cover a more general range of issues. I also noticed that the model railroad magazines seem to cover what is happening locally rather than nation wide, again that is understandable. What I found was that MR seemed to have a lot of midwest model railroad coverage, while RMC seemed to have more of a focus on East Coast modelling. A few years ago I joined the Santa Fe Modelers & Historical Society which included a subscription to the "Warbonnett". I guess this is a long round about way of saying that I dropped my magazine subscriptions, except for the "Warbonnett." Now I buy the occasional model railroad mag if it has an article that applies to what I'm modeling. Interrestingly that probably works out to less than one magazine per year of each of the national mags. There also seems to be relatively little published on West Coast railroading. That may be because of the lack of basements in Ca. that perhaps limits the modeling of California prototype models compared to the East where everyone with a house has a basement. I guess I've rambled on long enough for this post.

caliban

May 3, 2006
Lower-Saxony, GERMANY
Hi,

I'm a subscriber to Trains and MR. Got an issue of a german modelrailroading magazine for FREE yesterday. Have a lot time to read a the new issues today, because it's national holiday today! October 3rd is day we celebrate the reunification of our country after beeing divided by the iron curtain for 45years (1945-1990).

Attachments

• boy_walking_with_germany_flag_lg_clr.gif
    boy_walking_with_germany_flag_lg_clr.gif
    43.2 KB · Views: 65

Jac's Lines

Jan 28, 2005
Rochester, NY
I currently subscribe to Railroad Model Craftsman. The subscription ends in November, though, and I'm trying to decide whether to keep it up or not. To me at least it seems like it is more oriented towards technical details than modelling, and many of the articles seem very narrowly pitched. I know a lot of people complain about the number of ads in MR and RMC, but I find the ads to be one of most enjoyable parts of both publications.

FiatFan

Jul 16, 2004
I subscribe to MR and Model Railroad News. In the summer time, I generally keep caught up on reading them but when winter hits, I'm usually too busy working on my trains to read aobut what others are doing.
Just renewed my subsription to MR but am questioning the MRN. They do have a lot of good info on DCC and if I convert, it will be a handy reference. Although by the time I convert, it will probably be obsolete information. The rest of the magazine is mostly reviews. I genrally read the prototype info in the review and if it's a loco, I may look at the speed charts.

Tom

Thoroughbreed

Aug 4, 2006
South Eastern AL
I have both mr and mrc subscriptions, and until this months issue, wasnt pleased with mr at all. Last months issue was about making cornfields???? over 4 pages of how to make a cornfield:rolleyes:. This months issue is better though.

C

Catt

Gift suyb to Model Railroader,but also buy RMC and Model Railroading.I also buy both N scale and N scale Railroading when they come out.

Chanda

Aug 25, 2006
Pahrump, Nevada
Model Railroader and Railroad Model Craftsman. In 1957 I was stationed at March AFB and another airman was leaving and he asked me if I would like his
MRR book collection. I took them and there was MRR from 1934 thru 1957. I left March and passed them on to another airman. I sure wish I had them now. I retired in 1972 adn started once again with MRR I passed tthose from Seo 1972 thru April 1989 to a neighbor.
I have started again and have them all from June 1990 to the present. We never seem to learn from our mistakes.

Chandler

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
I too..Am enjoying a gift subscription to Model Railroader. Every couple of months, my father sends me a care package from Arizona with issues of Trains, Railfan and Railorading, and Railpace magazines, which he subscribes too.