Tuesday Right Out of the Box or Modify?

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Good morning folks

I added the driveway and pathway from the caboose/office.

For those of us who build kits do build them straight from the box or do you modify them?

When I build a kit from the box if it is a piece of rolling stock I generally build it as is. I will weather it. For structures I tend to modify them. I can’t stand the plasticy look of many of them and I usually paint them even if it is the same color as the plastic. I usually add some details like electric meters, mailboxes, lights, and signs.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
My are progressions---first up out of the box are new wheelsets, added weight and Kadees. After 3-6 months comes detailing if necessary, another 3-6 months finds weathering being done. I've got too many pots on the stove to concentrate on doing all at once, this way puts them out and running right away and leaves room for ideas to come.

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
My thoughts exactly, Shaygetz. KD's and metal wheels, then comes revenue service! :thumb: If I've had them awhile, I weather 'em, just for variety. Some with faded, or sub par lettering (OLD athearn BB kits come to mind, the newer ones use decals, but the older ones....sheesh! I think they used rubber stamps! :rolleyes: ) I weather right away, and put in service thanks to "Dean's Weatherin' Wash(R)" :D Great stuff!

C

Catt

Rolling stock? it all depends some are assembled and put right to work,some will get new couplers (maybe new trucks) and a shot of flat or mat finish.

Structures ? I haven't built a structure straight from the box unmodified in over 20 years.Anywheres from a coat of mat finish to a total paint/repaint to full on kitbashing.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
I cannot see building a kit right out of the box. Bricks don't look like bricks, wood doesn't look real, roofs can't possibly look that way in the real world. At a minimum, kits get a complete paint job and weathering, at their best, a kitbash.

Rolling stock kits? I've never bought one, and never seen any in N scale anyway. I haven't looked around that hard to buy any either...:D

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
Typically I find I want to add just a little of my own personal touch to any kit, if not a total kitbashery hack-job. Some of my favorite kits are the ones that invite bashing through optional components or modular design. Rolling stock tends to go on pretty "straight" unless I have a specific bash or modification in mind: typically a quick swap to metal wheels and Kadee couplers, some weathering, and they're ready to roll.

santafewillie

Aug 4, 2002
era tx
Visit site
Rolling stock whether RTR or kits, gets metal wheels, Kadees, graffiti sometimes, and weathering. Buildings are a different story. All of them get Dull-cote, some get additional paint and weathering first, all get added details. A few select ones get some kitbashing or re-arranging of parts; for the most part I design the layout space to fit the buildings, or I only select buildings to fit my space. I'm big on DPM modular stuff for most of my scratchbuilt buildings.

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
I'm not a fan of shiny plastic. Gotta dull that stuff down. As for rolling stock, I usually go with metal wheel sets and Kadee couplers (our club standard). Weathering is nice also.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Rolling stock, RTR or kit, usually gets KD's, even if it came with Accumates, McHenry, or EZ-Mates and then they get weathering.
Structures....Hmmmm.....Since I switched back to HO, I don't think I've built one structure straight from the directions. Usually they get bashed.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
MilesWestern said:
My thoughts exactly, Shaygetz. KD's and metal wheels, then comes revenue service! :thumb: If I've had them awhile, I weather 'em, just for variety. Some with faded, or sub par lettering (OLD athearn BB kits come to mind, the newer ones use decals, but the older ones....sheesh! I think they used rubber stamps! :rolleyes: ) I weather right away, and put in service thanks to "Dean's Weatherin' Wash(R)" :D Great stuff!

I don't know if they were rubber, but the old blue box stuff was pad printed.