Tuesday and Who Do You Do?

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Good morning folks

Another gray day for us here in the Delaware Valley. It seems like when are dry then we get a months worth of rain in a day or two. It makes driving a royal pain with all the road closures.

I finally did some modeling! I finished ballasting around a turnout near the Cement Distributor.

What road do you model? Is it real or freelanced.

I actually model several roads. My modeling is centered around the Pennsylvania anthracite coal fields so I have Reading, Jersey Central, and Lehigh & New England. Also since the B&O was an owner or part owner of several of these roads they are also represented.

When I started modeling I began with the PRR. It was logical choice since I live in the Philadelphia area. However, as time past I found myself gravitating to the B&O and Chessie. I grew up just five hundred feet from their tracks. As a kid I could remember seeing Reading and CNJ locos on through trains. As I was doing some research I came across the Lehigh and New England. I just thought their simplistic black & white paint scheme on their ALCO diesels was just so cool. The LNE has become the focal point now. Don’t get me wrong the mighty PRR still visits on occasion.

There are times where I want to run trains that are closer to my childhood memories. For those times I have a Chessie, Western Maryland, and Penn Central running on the layout. Since the LNE is my main source of inspiration I have them continuing into the eighties and not going out of existence in 1962. For that I have several later model desiels in fantasy LNE schemes.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
I model the Freelanced Catogory.

I like many road names including BNSF, CSX, UP, CNW, CONRAIL, and NS. Those are my favorite 6. I usally just get the buildings that look cool to me like the heavy industrial type. The Walthers Cornerstone Series Mostly is what I get. New River Mining Company and the Western Coal Flood Loader, Glacier Gravel Company, Blue Star Ready Mix, Black Gold Asphalt, Medusa Cement Company, Rolling Mill, Blast Furnace, and Coke Oven & Quencher are just a few of my favorites. Of course I get the rail cars to go along with these industries but I don't have a large collection of them right now as I just added trains to my layout about 2 months ago. I only have 1 engine so far, it's a BNSF Dash 8-40B.

I was thinking about modeling a route but I decided to make my own and I think that I am liking it better that way for now. :)

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
I PROTO-Freelance I research the prototype as much as I can (of course, still learning! ;) ) then based on the real thing I carefully construct my models with a watchful eye on the era (in my case, the 1950's) and throw a little extra finishing touches to top it off.

The Freelanced part is my own railroad, the Mission Valley and Pacific.

The Proto part is a representation of the mid-fifties pwower and practices of the Southern Pacific and Santa Fe railway, respectively.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Proto-lanced here too...! :)

Main road is a real one (Canadian National), but I have plans for some fictionally lettered rolling stock (Grand Valley, etc) and a doodlebug lettered for the fictional road Ottawa, Algonquin & Georgian Bay. Planned locations are all in Ontario, but some are fiction (Marlpost, ON) and some real (Orangeville diorama (CPR), Highland Inn (GT/CN)).

All modules will be tied together with the same era - 1920s and 30s.

Andrew

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Proto-lanced
I like that!.......I guess I'm "Proto-lanced" as well. I'm modeling a fictional division of the Northern Pacific Railway. I also have plans to have my own small railroad for my Twin River mining Co. It's set in the 40's-50's.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
I guess I should have named my railroad the "Hodge-podge Line". Right now I'm concentrating on getting the track and scenery completed. What I run on it later is yet to be determined, but I will be trying my hand at repainting some of the engines and many cars in the Canyon State Railroad scheme.

So, after that long-winded explaination, I guess it boils down to free-lance. There's nothing prototypical about what I'm doing, I can make fewer mistakes this way.:D

pennman

Jul 2, 2006
clarksville, tn
Well I model Penn Central , I grew up by the mains in Jersey and watched the PRR fall And PC to Conrail. This allows me to have some od PRR,LV,NYC AND YES THE DREDED WIGGLE WORMS. there is also the occasional EL, RDG, JC run

pennman

Jul 2, 2006
clarksville, tn
Well I model Penn Central , I grew up by the mains in Jersey and watched the PRR fall And PC to Conrail. This allows me to have some od PRR,LV,NYC AND YES THE DREDED WIGGLE WORMS. there is also the occasional EL, RDG, JC run through. But never the big blue CAN OPENER. This all takes place on the fictisious B&NE sub division. SO named after mine and my best buds home towns back in jersey, We even have a small short line named the same.
As far as rivit counters go my favorite expression is:
IT MY WORLD AND IF YOU DONT LIKE IT GET OFF!!!
TONY

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Another Penn Central modeler here! As a kid I lived near the River Division in Upstate NY (formerly the NYCs West Shore Line) and saw those PC freights go by everyday on the way to school.

Sometimes I kick around the idea of modeling a free lanced shortline to interchange with the PC but haven't developed a concept yet.

Living inthe Midwest since 1977 has also given me an appreciation of the Soo Line...maybe some day I'll get some of those white and red locos......

Ralph

pennman

Jul 2, 2006
clarksville, tn
Hey Ralph, If you do decide to do a PC line I have pics of 2 diffrent SOO trains comming thru the double cross of the water at Allen town PA going towards Bethleham some time in the early 80's
Tony

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Like Don has put it, the standard gauge part of my layout could be called a "Hode-podge-Line", too. So far I haven't decided on any prototype road - I'm even not quite sure about steam and/or diesel and what the time period should be... Now and then there's a loco or some cars of the TCW (Trim Creek Western - a rolling stock leasing company :D) running over the line.

The narrow gauge line is freelanced - the TC&W (Trim Creek AND Western RR - note the additional 'and'!). It's all steam (H0n3) with a heavy emphasis on Colorado narrow gauge, mainly D&RGW and RGS. Time slot - about 1945 to 55. So this part of my layout could be called 'protolanced'. :thumb:

Quite a mix! But living in Europe there is a smaller probability of being hit over the head by some blown-up know-it-all rivet counter! sign1

Ron