TTA - Terran Trade Authority

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gearz

Mar 13, 2006
OZ
I'd imagine many of the SF guys would be familiar with the TTA series of books (SF art). For me, its one of those childhood memories that always brings a smile.. I rode those great looking spaceships all over the galaxy.. This model started as series that.. "I must get around to one day..." It got dusted off thanks to inspiration from our members here, and some music oddly enough.

*This version of the Hornet is a little rough, I'm still struggling with 3D from scratch, so there are a few parts that will have to be a 'best fit' ~ wings and fins. Is there anyone with the time to see if its build-able (test build it), and maybe take a few pics..? It should be a reasonably quick job.. Just two pages of parts.

Below we see the TTA Sound Boy and the TTA Born Again, two Trade Authority Hornets embarking on a long range revenue harvesting mission.. ~ "You payem you taxes you bugger!"

Attachments

• TTAhornet.jpg
    TTAhornet.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 1,243

Gearz

Mar 13, 2006
OZ
mmm... Just as an addendum to the above... its funny how 3D can take you off on a tangent.. The pic below is the same Hornet mesh used in the first post ~ after I screwed up the textures. Not what I was after, but I can see a whole new ship in the making = chronic fiddler. *sigh*

Attachments

• TTAmistake.jpg
    TTAmistake.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 1,148

kaitain

Jan 21, 2007
UK
Looks like a good project

Hi Gearz,

I started something like that several years ago as a TTA modification for Homeworld (the pc game), so have a number of ships made such as the Shark, Piranha, Stellar cow, and Alphan Minnow. I would show you my website but it died when a Lycos storage server failed, and I haven't felt like uploading it again due to a lack of interest in the project. If you want to use the way back machine my site was at http://members.lycos.co.uk/TTAHomeworld, but from a quick glance it looks as though all the images have been lost except for the homepage.

I also created Homeworld models of the Gunstar (see my forum introduction), and Bubble Fighter from "Lost in Space", however the mod never really took off with the Homeworld community so I just let it die.

TTFN

Kaitain :)

S

shrike

Just how many TTA books wee there? I've got 3 of them when they were new(ish) but I haven't looked in years

E

ekuth

Ah man, I LOVE those books. I can remember reading those from cover to cover as a boy just drooling at the fantastic illustrations.

I'd definately build any of these you produce, Gearz.

S

sdk2knbk

TTA? I know I've seen that somewhere. Were those the art books that had Chriss Foss art in the cover?

Scott K.

Gearz

Mar 13, 2006
OZ
Thanks guys! I'm aiming for reasonably simple builds, of course any assistance / input is welcome.. yep.. I'm pretty sure Chriss Foss was one of the artists, although I couldn't say which books.
~ I didn't have them all. *sob*

Kaitain ~ Woow! I thought I had most of the Mods for Homeworld, I'm sorry I missed your TTA Mod. It sounds like a great idea, sad to hear it died in the water, it was probably thanks to a lot of the Homeworld fans being to young to remember the TTA books ( not implying anyone is old) I'm glad you've got some 3D models already done, I'm a lot better at reverse engineering the meshes to card models, than I am building them from scratch. If this Hornet works out, I'd certainly like to have a go at the ones you've made to continue the series. Q. I don't suppose you made a mesh of the Interstellar Queen (sorry I can't recall the artists name?). Thanks for your offer and support with this + sorry I missed your first post, welcome to the forums..
Oh and btw.. Long live the Emperor!

TTA..
Sheesh.. Ipso facto. I should have included these links with the first post..

WIKI ~
TTA info site 1
TTA info site 2
GOOGLE TTA
:roll:

David T. Okamura

Jan 30, 2005
The Terran Trade Authority? Ah, the memories... I thoroughly enjoyed that series back in high school. It was an exceptional example of graphic "recycling" -- taking former SF paperback cover art and crafting a massive historic context around these images. They even had ship specifications and service records, and I especially liked the "realism" of including less-than-flattering descriptions of obsolete warships and "lemons".

One particular design that stuck in the back of my mind all these years was a somewhat outlandish cross between a swan and a Concorde -- the Interstellar Queen:

http://www.bisbos.com/rocketscience/tta/iqueen.html

That particular ship made multiple appearances in the series, and is very distinctive. I'm sure a paper model of the Interstellar Queen (in various markings) would be instantly recognized by many TTA fans.

Gearz

Mar 13, 2006
OZ
Yep the Queen would have to be a must! on the Dev list. Perhaps next after the Hornet..Good suggestion MOS95B, although for simplicity (building) sake, she might be workable using primitives.. I'll try using them anyway, unless it turns to worms or a better mesh turns up..

Attachments

• Queen1.jpg
    Queen1.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 371

Bunnyear

Mar 4, 2007
Hello to all,...

The idea is so great ,..i have to register to say that:-D

(Iam a beginner ,..make some Galactica Models like Viper and Pegasus,...and the Star Destroyer,....)

So i got all Books of that Series and i Love the Models in it,...

I think it would be Amazing to have some of that Models in the Hand,...

What do you think about some of the Wreck Models ? this one for Example,...:)

Attachments

• wrack.jpg
    wrack.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 352
A

ARMORMAN

I had all the books, but can't remember the names of them all....can anyone help out?

Gearz

Mar 13, 2006
OZ
Bunnyear.. welcome to the forums! Thanks for the pic, it does look interesting. I didn't have the 'SHIPWRECK' book, so there's probably several nice subjects worth considering. If even only very basic, I'll certainly try to do as many as possible/practical from the series.

Funny we all strive for perfection with our models, it would be interesting to develop a model that looks like its been trashed!. ~ Last step = STOMP on your model.. EEEEEEEEEKK!!!

ARMORMAN ~ The names of the original series?

*SPACECRAFT 2000 to 2100 AD
*GREAT SPACE BATTLES
*STARLINERS
*SPACEWRECK

Just as an initial thought the TTA subject list ~

Hornet
Interstellar Queen
Gunship
Minnow
Shark ? although very 'tube-y' ~ it might be tricky rolling those tight cones?
++ ? others

If anyone comes across any 3D models/meshes of subjects from TTA. please keep us in mind!. ~ 3D is my weakest suit.

I might be drifting/dreaming, but there's some great subjects by Foss, Elson, Mckie etc, that could fit under the TTA umbrella?. *Sigh.. I'd better go and get a bucket of cold water...
:cry:

S

shrike

I was just thinking that getting a copy of Starliners would be a nice thing, as i have the other three. A quick look at Amazon dissuaded me - $99-$498 used prices

Gearz

Mar 13, 2006
OZ
Hey that's looking very promising Bowdenja. The Hornet may live after all..Thanks for the pic, it makes the world of difference to see it in the Flesh. Its bigger than I pictured it, not a bad size. If there's going to be a few of them to display, a TTA style stand will probably be the go.. Maybe something FOSS-ish or ELSON-ish...

57townsman ~ Yep the Manta looks like a nice craft, added to the list!.. Although, the 'ring' might have to be blended into the 'wing', to keep it reasonable build-able.. A mesh/3D model would help it jump on the cue! (wishful thinking)

Shrike ~ To think I traded one of the TTA books at a 'book-exchange' for a handful of crumby paperbacks.... What the hell was I thinking !!!!!!! *SOB*...

Just wrestling with a 'Queen' mesh at present. From what I've seen Angus McKie has painted it in a few different styles, notably two distinct cockpit variations + sizes ~ Its only a simple box, so an option for either would be easy enough to do..So far I've styled it from one of the profile pics ~ which makes the 'wings' look a little small in reference to other paintings. Please.. let there be another 3D model out there..

Attachments

• Queen3Dv1.jpg
    Queen3Dv1.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 264

Bunnyear

Mar 4, 2007
yep the Hornet looks Great,...

Gearz when you dont have the Wrecks,.. here is a Picture from A Queen that
goes into an Icetrap,...i think its the Only Picture where you see this Ship from Behind,...i hope it helps for the Project.

Attachments

• queen.jpg
    queen.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 244
Status
Not open for further replies.