TTA ships from start to finish!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by FlareBaffled, Sep 5, 2011.

1. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Well...after a long hiatus away from card modelling for a variety of reasons, the urge to come back and do some more has finally bitten...but I had to find something I wanted to work on. Something that wasn't represented, wasn't being worked on, and couldn't just be downloaded somewhere already.

Then it hit me. Almost literally, when my old TTA book fell off the bookshelf!

So here's the plan:

I will build every ship in the book, in order, from start to finish. The lot. I had a brief go at a couple a while back, but they were pretty poorly designed and worked. Much better models can be made and will be made.

It's a challenge, and should provide me with plenty of scope to work. Some of the pictures leave a lot of detail hidden and the designs will need a hefty dose of interpretation....but watch this space.....the work has begun :)

I look forward to this thread (again)!
  3. Zathros

Zathros Guest

This sounds extremely epic!!
  4. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

CAM 117 is now underway for modelling. I will pop up some pictures later on today. It's not looking too bad, but it's hard going with some of the areas. Working form just a single illustration makes it difficult to build some areas as tehy are just not clearly shown. Also...some just don't physically work as a result of it being a painting rather than a proper technical drawing. Artistic licence has been used....but as long as the finished model can be orientated as per the picture and look like it...then I will be happy.

You're gonna make me dig out my books, aren't you? ;)
  6. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member might just have to ;)

Here's the progress so far. I have started with the main defined hull sections as this gives the ship form. The rest is just greebled blocks and the artist hasn't actually defined any shape there at all. I will have to do a lot of work to render the other areas in a way that will look good, but I have a good idea how it will work.

Lots more work to do :)
  7. Gixergs

Gixergs Well-Known Member

I'm so glad your on this,I love the TTA books Peter Elson's work being some of my favourite although I think the Barracuda by Bob Leyzell is the ship I look forward to the most.Which book are you working from at the moment so I can read along:thumb:

Attached Files:

9. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

I am working from the original book as it's the only one I actually own. Will work from there to whatever other stuff I can find reference pictures for. The CAM117 is the first ship in the that's where I am starting :)

I'll be doing my own version of the Hornet, as I see it differently in terms of a model. The couple of models I did in the download section I will be re-doing, as I am not happy with the results and I reckon I can do better. But they will come later.
  10. Nosports

Nosports Member

Yeah i toiling around this idea for long, but i lack the books...
    I had once two of them, but i gave them away or wasted them, i just don't know.....

I hope you have mor luck ...
  11. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Peter Elson's pictures just stir the imagination so much. I was there 3 way view of some of those ships. They really are great candidates for modeling.

Had them all. Sold them in college (dumb, dumb, DUMB!!!), then when the original thread started, went out and hunted down the set of 4 (3 in New Zeland, and one - Starliners - usually the most expensive- in Indiana).
  13. MTK

MTK Active Member

14. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Making slow progress with this :)

Started work on the greeble fest that is the main hull. I plan on offering a selection of dedicated pieces to fold and stick, plus a spare 'greeble' sheet that can be cut up freeform and applied depending on how far you want to go with it.

Should have some better pics to put up this weekend :)
  15. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Good luck with this, Flare! :thumb:

I'm going the *entire* collection of starships from the game Star Fleet Battles, and I'm only about halfway through right now, but I have to drag myself into doing any modeling on the designs. It doesn't help that the Romulan designs are all curvy and that I'm trying to make these buildable as miniatures for the game.
  16. arkon

arkon Member

not sure if this helps ,but a freind on did the hornet in balsa n plastic.its under TTA Avery Hornet in the current and finished builds sci-fi threads. his name is Sotoolslinger.sorry i dont know how to do the loink thingy. hope this helps for reference and such.
  17. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Any and all refernce material helps :)

Especially when it looks that good!
  18. oriod01

oriod01 Member

Hey FlareBaffled, glad to see you back. I think I speak for everyone when I say we were a little worried about you. Hope everything is well. So, any chance you will be returning to your Star Destroyer model?
  19. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

I still have all the files, but the test model is dead, so it would mean starting the build again.

Wouldn't rule it out, but I am not rushing back to doing loads. Just spending time when I have it. I love the TTA ships and have always wanted to do them properly, and that's project no.1 for now.

Otherwise, I end up back doing stuff other people want done, not stuff I want done.

But....I was pretty pleased with the way the SD build was going, so there is hope for thast. Nothing has been deleted.
  20. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Let's keep posts about the Star Destroyer out of this thread, please.