Tsarist battleship Petropavlovsk

Gregory Shoda

Apr 17, 2004
Honolulu, HI
Petropavlovsk was the first Russian battleship that compared favorably with contemporary European designs. She was the flagship of the Russian First Pacific Squadron during the Russo-Japanese War. Tragically, she struck a mine while maneuvering to engage the Japanese fleet, resulting in her destruction and the death of Vice-Admiral Makarov, commander of the fleet and regarded as the most able Russian commander.

I built this model a while ago as part of a long-term & ongoing project to build representatives of the Russian predreadnoughts from Navarin through Borodino classes. Hope you guys like it.

C

cgutzmer

Awesome little build there! Thanks for including the penny for scale :) How long did that take you?
Chris

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Great job Gregory...

What do you use for the deck on that model? If I'm not mistaken, it almost looks like wood. Or did you just scribe lines for the deck?

Very nice.

Elliott

Jul 18, 2006
Nicely done! Predreadnought ships are an interesting study. To watch the formation of ideas and theory form and be put into practice is fascinating. Looking forward to the rest of the series. Got any more pictures?

Elliott

Gregory Shoda

Apr 17, 2004
Honolulu, HI
Thanks all for your encouraging words. You are very kind. One further picture is enclosed.

In answer to your questions,

Cgutzmer: It took me a month to build the model. That is fast for me as I normally work at a desultory pace. Moreover, as I use white glue, I do have to take time off for parts to dry. Also, I also take breaks to ponder drawings when they are ambiguous. Actual hands on building time was 40 to 60 hours.

Eibwarrior: The decks are scribed with a pencil and a ruler on tan colored cardboard. The model is entirely built of cardboard, paper, & white glue.