Trying to Identify.

Have been trying to get information on this train for someone. Any help will certainly be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
44375698_o.jpg

Stephan

44375707_o.jpg

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
What are you wanting to know about it?

The prototype it was modeled after?
The manufacturer?
When it was made?
Can you give any details about it other than the pics to help identify it?

uh...yes, yes,yes

Pretty much yes, any thing you can tell me about it at all. I believe it is an older model and the owner thinks it's an american flyer but I don't know how to tell. The only markings I see on it at all are what look to be a series of model part numbers. They are as follows: PA 10109, PA 9466, and PA 946, all from the underside of the engine. And a piece of metal marked PATS. PENDING, also on the underside of the engine.

Thanks again for your help.
Steph

Torpedo

Jan 20, 2007
You posted in N/Z Trains. Perhaps this is the wrong forum, if it is or may be American Flyer equipment. To my knowledge, AF has never made anything that small.

Can you measure the distance between the rails and post the dimension, please. That will help to identify the scale.

Measurements

Thanks for the advice Torpedo. Which would be a more appropriate forum for me to post this in? I'm very new to all this. In any case, the track measures 1" from outside to outside. The engine is roughly 8" long by 3" tall. Hope this helps and thanks again. Steph

Torpedo

Jan 20, 2007
Whoops. I should have mentioned, the measurement is taken inside to inside. Sorry about that. However, extrapolating from the one inch, it very much looks like that engine is S scale. It may very well may be American Flyer.

Is that "brass" actually just paint, or are those separate detail items that someone has added?

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Hi,
Funny I should pick this particular "identifying" thread to take a peek at, as I'm nearly engine illiterate. But this one, I KNOW...!! I know because I have one....!!!! That is definitely an American Flyer S-gauge, probably of late 40"s to early 50's, when AF was still using the hook-type couplers, and what seem to be stamped trucks. Mine has knuckle couplers and all-black cast trucks. The "brass" look is painted on. You can see some of the brush marks on the lines and it's bled on the air tank. It's also missing the pilot handrails. It seems to have been re-painted and lettered as AF, to my knowledge, did not do an A&S engine, and the engine would have its number on the cab sides, and not the line name. Well, that's all I can offer. It's a beauty, nonetheless...:)