trying to get started

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by cya, May 1, 2005.

1. cya

cya New Member

I'm still trying to break ground on my first layout. I made a flat table 3'x5' but I think it's too small now[​IMG] I cut foam for risers but now I'm haveing second thoughts about that. Is what you call cookie cut a table the best way, to set up??? I want to keep the project in somewhat of a buget but also want to make a layout that is durable for 3 boys. HELP!!!!
  2. cya

cya New Member

oh yes, almost forgot, n gauge would be the size of choice
  3. ausien

ausien Active Member

Could you give us more information, lacation(middle of room, around the room, ect) what scale are you modleing, what you want on / in your layout. how much space you have, then we can give you thousands of sujestions. Oh and if I have not welcomed you to the gauge before, WELCOME ....have a good one...steve
  4. cya

cya New Member

thanks for the welcome, I planned on doing this on a table that can be mobile, store in the garage but take outside, in the house where ever when the urge is there. I have also have wanted two lines, a grade, to pass over another line, tunnel access, maybe 12-16 switches, I already have a tech II duel transformer, flex track, road bed, some wired switches.
  5. ausien

ausien Active Member

Sound like you have the start of a good layout, but let me ask you a few beginer questions.

1, do you have a track plan/drawing?

2, do you know what industries you want?

3, what type of sceenery are you going to have?

4, is it a piont to point, or continouse running?

these questions may seam pointless but they will give us all a better idea of what you want to acomplish....have a good one..steve
  6. cya

cya New Member

well they all sound like great questions, I don't know if I can answer all of them but I'll try. I have looked at different layout (atlas). Nothing too complicated, something more than a double loop with interior passes and some switch lines in front. I'm handy so I feel I can make something nice but my kids don't want me spending their entire childhood building this. I already have way more buildings than I know what to do with (ebay) so that is covered. I really have been inspired by Long Beach, CA train show with mountain passes, tressel bridges, woodlands, ect. As far as the point to point I am not positive, I would like to have 2 train be able to run at the same time but be able to stage a "little" switching yard.
  7. ausien

ausien Active Member

HI CYA,
    continouse running can be fun if you like to watch trains goining around, and around, but you can also incorperate yards, sideings, double track,ect, 5x3ft is not that big to do all that on, a point to point, can be switched from one end to the other with spurs to industries, but again 5x3ft is to short,( my opiion only)but the first place to start would be with a hard and fast track plan...(you can always change it along the way through construction)hehe, you also said that you have three boys, and they did not want construction to take up there child hood, my answer to that is include them in the construction prosess have them build it(you just let them think that you are helping them) it may give them a hobby to last a lifetime not something to play with for a year or two...once you got the track plan you then have some idea of the size of your layout,( or the size you want it to be)then you can start with the bench work,track laying,( the wishing that the bench work was bigger longer ect)( the modleers lament).
    then you wire it up, and get your trains out and running, and then the seanary starts to go on and the empire starts to come to life.. this is how I constructed the Feather river, (conctructing), without loosing the interest for me, the other men that build it mith me, the grand children who play with it,( my 10 yr grand son has been building timber tunnel portals( without my knowlage) for his layout as he calls it).
    Remember the most important thing about RR modleing is TO HAVE FUN AND ENJOY IT..
    I hope this long post is not to boring and that it helps you with your layout...have a good one steve
  8. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

I think young children generally prefer to have continuous running over a point to point. You can incorporate some industrial switching areas for interest as the kids grow tired of watching trains run in circles. I think the best train shop near Long Beach is Hobby Warehouse on South St. just West of Lakewood Blvd. Stop in and talk to Jim or Eli, either one will be glad to help you out with possible track plans. They also generally stock the Kalmbach books as well as Atlas track plan books to help you find a suitable plan. The shop is also a place where there is no pressure to buy anything. The train guys are there to help you figure out what you want to do. The business philosophy is that if they help you with the planning, you'll come back when your ready to buy. One other thing they can help you with. The general "rule of thumb" is "the smaller the hands the bigger the trains need to be." I don't know the ages of your boys, but n may be too small for the youngest ones to handle. If you take your boys in to the shop, they can also help with reccomendations for the size of trains for the boys.