Truss Bridges and Bridge Tracks

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Hi guys,

Im working on installing the Walthers Cornerstone Single Track Truss Bridge on a section of my layout. I have a question about the bridge track though.

I have plenty of the Walthers Bridge Tracks with Gaurdrails and i know im going to have to combine 2 of them together cuz there barely long enough for the span of the bridge itself, it doesnt even come out past the ends of the bridge. Am i crazy or does the V gaudrails start before the bridge?

How far should the bridge track come out past the bridge? I mean how far away from the bridge should the V start on the bridge track? Whats prototypical?

Thanks guys

fsm1000

Hi Josh, long time no see. The V rails start BEFORE the bridge starts. Even though I didn't
t put them in my own bridges they are still there [in my imagination LOL].
Anyhow their purpose was to stop a total derailment and the train from falling of of the bridge hopefully and so they started before the bridge started.

I hope that helps :D

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Hi Josh, long time no see. The V rails start BEFORE the bridge starts. Even though I didn't
t put them in my own bridges they are still there [in my imagination LOL].
Anyhow their purpose was to stop a total derailment and the train from falling of of the bridge hopefully and so they started before the bridge started.

I hope that helps :D

Thanks Stephen :mrgreen:

How far do the V Gaurdrails start before the bridge though? I found this pick of the Walthers Bridge Track :

new_br3.gif

Looks like it starts a couple inches before....

Also, anyone know how do you connect 2 sections of the bridge track together?

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
I just answered my own question sign1 I feel like an idiot, its so obvious lol. Walthers tells you where to start the bridge track. Smaller ties go off the bridge, when the BIG ties start that are spaced close together is where the bridge track should start on the bridge, the rest of the ties before the big ties are off the bridge and the bridge gaurdrail approach.... lol so easy, cant believe i was confussed about that lol :eek:ops: :eek:ops: :eek:ops:

Anyways, I still dont know how im going to attach 2 pieces of the bridge track together to make it long enough for the bridge? Anyone know how to do it?

doctorwayne

The CNR bridge at 20 Mile Creek, near Jordan Station, Ontario:
CNR_bridge_at_20_Mile_Creek_5.jpg

Joining bridge track should be the same as joining regular track - remove a couple of ties, slip on the rail joiners and solder them together. Then, alter the ties you removed to accommodate the thickness of the rail joiners and glue them back in place.

Wayne

Kevinkrey

Just like doctorwayne said. Connect like regular track. I soldered together parts without any rail joiners, and if you are gentle, thats strong enough.

diburning

To make matters easier, you probably don't need to join the guard rails.

They're called retaining rails to stop a train from falling off the bridge if the train derails by catching the wheels.

A guard rail is the railing that doesn't do much to keep a train from falling off a bridge since the train would smash through it, but is mainly there so that the MoW workers don't fall off :p

fsm1000

Of course you can just do what I do and crazy glue the rails to the ties as well. That's all I did for my main line. I did however use four spikes per tie when I made the bridge though ;) :D

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Thanks for all your replys guys :mrgreen: :thumb:

I did it and it worked all well overall. Glued the ties back in place.... The only thing i dont like is the fact that i dont have a continues rail running the span of the bridge.... well i guess on the prototype isnt a continuous stretch of rail too, so what the heck, im happy with the outcome :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thanks again for all your help :mrgreen: :mrgreen: