Trucklover's Weathered Buildings

Discussion in 'Weathering Forum' started by TruckLover, Nov 15, 2006.

1. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

This is the thread that I will be posting the pictures of my weathered buildings and how I did them. Hope you guys enjoy!!:)
  2. TruckLover

Glacier Gravel Company

Here is my Glacier Gravel Company that I weathered. It is currently the only structure that I have weathered but I plan on doing many more.

Ok, here is the Glacier Gravel Company.
    • First I used india ink mixture (same mixture as Deano's weathering tutorial) and went over the whole building in a heavy coat.
    • Then I let it all dry
    • After it dried, I got a some toliet paper and put some paint thinner on it and rubber off a lot of it in a DOWN MOTION. It is important to go down and not side to side.
    • Then, I applied the "Glacier Gravel" Decal and brushed it with some pressure to get the cracked and "old" look to it.
    • Next step will be to do the roofs with rust streaks with chalk powders, ill post some more pics of the roof when I do that.
    • Also have to weather the 2 conveyors and truck dump.

Attached Files:

• 5.jpg
      File size:
      58.9 KB
    • 3.jpg
      File size:
      66.5 KB
    • 4.jpg
      File size:
      66.1 KB
    • 1.jpg
      File size:
      56.5 KB
    • 2.jpg
      File size:
      57.8 KB
  3. liven_letdie

liven_letdie Member

Can ya dig it sign1
  4. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

TRULY an OUTSTANDING job Josh!:thumb::thumb::thumb: :D -Deano
  5. TruckLover

sign1 sign1

Thanks Deano and Liven_letdie:D :D :D :D
  6. viperman

viperman Active Member

I'm a lil surprised you didn't apply the decal all beat up like that, seal it with dullcoat, then weather the whole building. Guess it doesn't really matter, since it still came out great!
  7. TruckLover

Thanks Steven, I am pleased with how it has came out so far too.:D :D :D
  8. Nazgul

Nazgul Active Member

great job Josh!:thumb: :thumb: I look forward to seeing the roof work:thumb:

Ya know...your trucks look a little too clean:D :D :D but one thing at a time
  9. TruckLover

Dang, I noticed that too. I only have a few weathered trucks. I am going to start a thread for my weathered trucks and trailers too soon.:D :D :D :D :D

Thanks for the compilment too
  10. TruckLover

Here are some pics of some more stuff I weathered on the gravel company. I added a shed to the loading area and weathered that too. I also weathered the conveyors and railings and loading boxes. I also ruffed up that sign on the front of the shed so you could not really see it anymore.

Attached Files:

11. TruckLover

These show the conveyor that has been weathered.

I still have not weathered the roofs yet with rust colors. Still have to do that.

Attached Files:

12. ejen34

ejen34 Member

These shots are a thing of beauty :thumb:
  13. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

TRULY OUTSTANDING JOB JOSH!!!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :D -Deano
  14. TruckLover

Thanks Guys, it means alot :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
  15. wdsrwg

wdsrwg Member

:thumb: :thumb:

16. Nazgul

Nazgul Active Member

not only has your weathering really become superb:thumb: ....but your photography is truly getting better all the time:thumb: beautiful pictures of beautiful work!!!!!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  17. Amrap1

Amrap1 Member

I just finished building the Glacier building and was wondering how to weather it. Your pictures look GREAT and gives me alot of ideas! I was thinking of combining the Glacier with a granite plant and the loose rubble would be turned into ballast for the train tracks. How would I add white dusting to the conveyers and other areas that would be prone to gathering dust?

18. TruckLover

Thanks Steve,:D :D you are to kind,:wave: I hope to be taking more pics of trains on my layout and all the new buildings and progress I have made on my layout since christmas, which was the last time i took pics.

Wish I could get to the craft store so I could finish the roofs on this structure lol.

BTW Steve, you do AWAZING work, man that curved viaduct you put in looks FANTASTIC and the rocks and cliffs surrounding it and below really make the scene come to life. I LOVE seeing new things from you because you do such great work, you make me drool over your BEAUTIFUL work. KEEP IT UP MAN!!!!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  19. TruckLover

:wave: Hi Ed, thanks for the compliments.

For white dust on the conveyors and were ever else you might want it, maybe some white chalk dust would work? Go to the craft store like Michaels and just get a basic chalk set, grind down the stick of chalk using a wood block with some fine sandpaper making the chalk into dust, then brush it onto the conveyors using a stiff brush. You can also mix the white with say black and maybe some brown thrown in there (not much of either though) to give it more color and so you can see it better on the conveyors, It also will kinda highlight sertain areas and make it look more realistic. Hope this helps Ed, let me know if I can help anymore.:thumb: :thumb:
  20. Nazgul

Nazgul Active Member

thank you for the kind words:thumb:
    I think your choice layout theme and your actual work on it are so very original and beautifully executed. They really inspire me every time I see it:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: .
    keep on posting the pics!!!!!!!!:)