Truck Conversion

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
I've got some pushpin trucks, and some trucks that have hornhook couplers on them (where I'm going to convert the couplers to kadees in the next while) - both of which I want to get rid of.

My question is: how do I know which screw-in trucks I can use instead. My local hobby shop has quite the selection.

<< HO scale >>

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Mike,
Where there's a will there's greedy rela----I mean a way.
Most all of the trucks available can be attached with 2-56 screws. It's a matter of what kind of hole is left in the bolster when you remove the original. In some rare cases you might have to insert a plug in the hole and then drill and tap for 2-56.
Pete

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi Mike and Pete, Like Pete says where there's a will......:D :D

Pete you might remember the old AHM freight cars that had the push pin that held the trucks on. I used to take a piece of sprue left over from a plastic kit, whittle it down and force it into the hole left by the pin. I'd put a little liquid styrene glue on it and when it was dry I'd cut and file it flush with the bolster then use a #2x1/8 self tapping screw to install an Athearn truck. Ahhhhh :D Them was the good old days:D :D I was the only one in town who could keep his AHM cars on the rails:D :D :D :p

BillD53A

Mar 23, 2002
Fort Myers Florida
Visit site
Remember the old wheels that came on AHM cars...the ones where the plastic wheel/axle was split and fit like a sleeve over a metal axle? I finally found a use for them...remove the wheels from the metal axles, throw the axles away. Remove the trucks from the car. Seperate the car floor and body, and glue a wheel/axle inside the car floor, with the axle through the kingpin hole. Trim the bottom flush with the bolster, and use a 2-56, or #2 screw to attach the trucks! Replace the wheelsets with modern wheels (you might have to use a #50 drill bit in your fingers to open up the axle bearing holes in the sideframes to let the wheels roll, or use The Tool from Reboxx) Bill

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Found A Use

Hi Bill, I found a use for those old AHM reefers.....Since the door height and the siding spacing is correct I cut them down into HOn3 reefers. Here's a pic of one in the works:)

Attachments

• ahm.jpg
    ahm.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 67

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Thanks Gary, Actually I should have said that I cut down the sides to make the NG reefers....The floor is just a piece of styrene siding and the rest is Grandt Line Parts:D

Now that Precision Scale has those beautiful HON3 reefer kits I kinda lost interest in building these out of the AHM cars:eek:

BillD53A

Mar 23, 2002
Fort Myers Florida
Visit site
Excellent!! My road uses the wood, double door boxcars...remove the deep side sills, add a fishbelly underframe, file off the corrugations on the ends, add end siding, roofwalks, vertical brake wheels,grabs and door details. Great kitbashing fodder! Bill

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Bill, Your method of using the AHM wheel/axle as a boss for mounting the trucks is pretty damn clever. But I'm glad we don't have to deal with those cars anymore! The new stuff is so awesome!

Gary