Troubles with stairs

I'm trying to build flights of stairs between decks on my container ship but I'm not sure what the easiest or the best way is to do it. Does anyone know where to point me to help or give me suggestions. I'd rather scratchbuild them then buy them commercial.

Thanks

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi Ed, Here's the easy way:D Central Valley makes stairs and steps and ladders in HO scale if that's what you're working in. You get a big bag full for around 10 bucks.

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
Ed - I imagine (I'm a land-lubber) that stairs on ships would be made of steel. How about using some styrene rods for pipes, and notching them where the steps would go? You could then use pieces of flat styrene for the steps. The rods could also be used to make handrails. Pretty fine work for N scale, though - a 2" diameter pipe would only be 0.0125" diameter and a 8" wide step would only be 0.05" wide.:(

TR-Flyer

Nov 24, 2001
SC
Visit site
Hi:
You might try steel wire for rails and fine screen for stairs an platforms and solder it together in a jig. Very fine work though. Tweezer city.

Good Luck,
Ted

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Evergreen sells ladder and stair kits for less than $4.00. At least thats what I paid at my LHS. They can be cut to any length you need and could pretty much be used in any scale.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Ed: are the stairs like conventional house stairs, i.e. 45 degree angle, boards on the side to mount the steps from?
I just saw an article (on caboose steps) and they made riser frames, mounted them inside a strip frame and added the steps.
The riser frame is made by taking a length of 1x12 (or so), cutting teeth out of one side (alternate 45 degree cuts going in the step width) and then adding a full 1x12 on the outside.
If this sounds good, I can check the article or draw a crude diagram for you.

David,
Through photos of the ship I'm basing this project on, it doesn't look like these stairs are 45 degrees. But if you could track down the article or show what you are describing, I'm sure it will be of use for my next scratchbuild project...finally, the massive size of the GMD Plant here in London Ont. It will be slightly condenced (did I say slightly...ROFL...yeah right) with a main module size of 2 feet by 4 feet just for the complex. That does not include the parking lot and the double track main passing in front of the plant. Kind of a big project. But with GMD along with Kellogg's, the Iron Ridge will have some big time revenue.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Ed:
The article is in September 2002 Model Railroader. The diagram is on page 91.
Is it possible I've seen your work? Have you been on the London layout tours?
We had a tour of the London GM plant when they were building the locos for Britain. No pictures were allowed, but 2 months later a magazine has a whole illustrated spread.