Trouble with White metal.

KCS

I just started working on a new AC4400 and I'm super detailing it and I'm having trouble getting white cast metal part's to stick to the plastic. What can I use to make them stick? I'm not going to try and put them back on until I know for sure because I don't want to do any more fileing on the fuel tanks.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Super glue (ACC) might do it, or Walther's Goo. If you are trying to stick the parts to delrin plastic (slippery plastic usually used for truck frames), you are pretty much out of luck. I don't think there is anything that will reliably stick delrin.

You might want to consider a mechanical joint to help the glue. Drill a small hole into the back of the detail part (if possible) and into the spot you want to put it. Then ACC a short section of wire or a pin into the part and afix it to the loco.

Andrew

It also helps a lot to wash the plastic parts before bonding with any adhesive. Warm water and a little dishwashing detergent works, followed a gentle scrub with an old toothbrush and a rinse. Use same prep before painting too. It rids the plastic of any mold-release agents and finger oils that interfere with paint and glue.

I am also a believer in pinning any joint you can.
--Stu--