Trouble with Pepakura and 3DS textures.

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by BazookaJo, Jan 16, 2007.

1. BazookaJo

BazookaJo Member

I've been using Pepakura for a while and am reasonably okay with it.

One problem I've always had however is that the textures I apply in 3DS Max do not show in Pepakura - the surfaces just show in black :(

I even tried the new version (which has some very neat features), but the texture problem remains.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

2. Gil

Gil Active Member

You have to assign a texture map in Pepakura if I remember correctly.

3. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

I remember there's a "show texture" option in one of the menus... But whenever I click on it Pepakura says "UV Coordinates not set"...
  4. barry

barry Active Member

In the 3d model window drop down menu click "set texture", select the texture from the drop down list. The selected texture will show as a yellow outline on the 3d model. Select the file that has the texture info in it and the texture will then show on the 3d model if it does this it will print on the parts if not then it's incompatible. Sorry can't get a screenshot.
  5. BazookaJo

BazookaJo Member

Cheers Barry

The texture file I select is just a standard bitmap, and on the model all the faces are outlined in yellow (which I think it means they are okay to texture).

For some reason Pepakura doesn't like jpegs - I can specify a bitmap and it's fine :???:

Anyone know how I can export a 3DS file from max but have it export the textures as bitmaps instead of jpegs?
  6. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Can you use paint to change Jpeg to Bitmaps?
  7. BazookaJo

BazookaJo Member

Could do, but I often need to do a little tweaking of the texture positions on the model, if I reapplied the original textures they'd be wrong :(

I reckon that the actual textures for the model are stored in the 3DS file, but converted to a JPEG format - Anyone know if there's a setting where I can change this?

8. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Just to say after Bazoo that I'd be greateful if anyone could show how to make textures in Rhino work with Pepakura.
  9. Pilot

Pilot New Member

I can't even remember the last time I opened MS Paint for anything, but if you need a great image editor with power rivaling that of Adobe Photoshop - but costs nothing - have a look at GIMP:[SIZE=-1]

[/SIZE]It's completely free and open-source, and as I said, is widely considered as a strong rival to Photoshop itself as far as power and features.

It's also great for simply opening one type of image format and saving as another, just like you need to do. :)

10. BazookaJo

BazookaJo Member

Cheers guys

The thing is, that I don't have a problem converting bitmaps to jpegs - my problem is that I do some positioning of the bitmaps on the original model, hence the orginal images are not always the same as the ones in the 3DS file.

Now if I could extract these amended images and re-apply them in the correct position on the Pep file that would be fine.