Trouble with MRC sound decoders

Nick8564

Sep 3, 2004
I have both the steam and dieseal decoders. The steam decoder works great but the dieseal one has a problem. It worked pretty good for an hour overall use then the motor sound cut out. I can still here one or two of the functions when used. Anyone else have this problem? Thanks

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Don't have any direct experience with MRC sound decoders (I use Soundtraxx).

I wonder if the decoder is getting too hot after a while and cutting out? Is it a sound only, or does it control the loco too? If control, does the loco still function properly after the sound cuts out?

Andrew

Nick8564

Sep 3, 2004
Its both sound and motor/function control, The motor will work still and the light functions work, just not the sound

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Is there something wrong with any of the connections to the speaker? Maybe a loose or poor connection that changes as the space under the shell heats up and/or moves around a bit after running?

Andrew

knewsom

May 12, 2005
Richmond, VA
I had this exact problem with my MRC steam sound decoder. I contacted MRC and sent it in (with the original receipt). They replaced it free of charge. They did not give me a reason, but I think it was that the decoder was getting too hot.

Nick8564

Sep 3, 2004
I emailed them to see what they would do, I took the cover off the engine and set the decoder out where it could get air, and just let it set still and run the engine noise and even then it would cut off