Trotskiy's model

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by Bmer, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Bmer

Bmer New Member

Hey guys,

I'm trying to build an FW 190 A5 that I got my hands on from Trotskiy's Studios, but I'm having troubles forming the wings and attaching them to the aircraft. On the body of the aircraft, there is no clearly marked area to cut out to insert the wings. Also, how do i form the wings to fit together and the the airfoil shape? I tried using my own fingers, and have gotten acceptable results (the the 'bottom' and 'top' wing fit together well, except for the white edges of the card that shows very do I deal with these white edges?). What methods do you guys use to form the wings?

I can upload the file here if necessary. If anyone has built a Trotskiy model before, I'd appreciate your help.
  2. Bmer

Bmer New Member

Okay, I noticed on his website that he just attaches the wings plainly to the bottom of the aircraft body, and the airfoil shaped area on the aircraft's body is left just as it is.

That's a rather unrealistic looking aircraft as a result. Compare the model to the real aircraft:

Is that just a style of building card model aircraft?
  3. dansls1

dansls1 Member

His intention is to make quick and easy 'flyable' models. I haven't built any yet - but I don't think they will pass much more than a cursory inspection as far as duplicating actual aircraft.
  4. AdamN

AdamN Member

Wing Trouble

If you are making the plane the size it is when you print it on a 8.5x11 sheet of cardstock, and you intend on flying it when you're finished, there isn't much need to build the wing into a 3D airfoil.

I've had a lot of fun putting these little planes together, some of them pretty small, and they all fly well with flat wings.

However, if you are scaling them up at all, I have had success with putting a spar in each wing and adding some dihedral to the wing by cutting out the top section of the wing that would normally be in the way when the wing was attached from the bottom of the fuse.

For spars, I have used toothpics, strips of balsa, and even rolled paper. I just cut it to the correct length for the entire wing, and then glue it to the bottom half of the wing before folding the top half over. I am careful when gluing the wing together at the back edge that its the top side that's curved not the bottom side (of the wing).

Then when the wing is dry, I just crease it gently at the center and mount it on the fuse.

Incidentally, I don't attach many pairs of landing gear to these planes. They fly better with out.
  5. AdamN

AdamN Member

Fuselage shape

I forgot to mention too that I don't crease all of the fuselage lines the way he suggests. I roll a lot of them and keep the cross sections round or oval. My Me262 is even triangular. It sometimes gets a little tricky making the gluing flaps match, but a long pair of tweezers and some patients goes a long way.

Many of the US planes have mid-wings. These were much more of a challenge than the low wing planes like the zero and the Me109.
  6. 72BMWR75/5

72BMWR75/5 Member

Yeah, his planes are not really meant to be exact models. But, at 1/72 scale they do look nice. They are also a pretty good way to work on your skills before taking on something more realistic.
  7. 72BMWR75/5

72BMWR75/5 Member

Oh, yeah, you might try the Fokker DVII from Fiddler's Green if you want something more realistic. Several versions of the plane are available. Very nice.