Trotskiy Sinden model available

Discussion in 'Internet Finds' started by Jim Krauzlis, Nov 4, 2006.

1. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

New model up for download on the Trotskiy site!

A Sinden...funny looking craft.:grin:
    You can find it here

...usual download rules for this site.

2. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

That should be Shinden, but it is spelled wrong on the pdf. Thanks for the heads up.
  3. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Anyone get the impression I don't know my aircraft all that well?:grin:

Thanks for noting the correct spelling, I had no clue!
    I suppose I best be sticking with my ships...:oops:

Anyone know what the story about this interesting craft? Any relation to the German aircraft designs that look similar...what is it, a Dornier?

Wait, I better stop before I step off the cliff into that vast unknown that I refer to as "TIRDKSA" (things I really don't know squat about).:-D

4. Wily

Wily Member

The Shinden is well documented on the internet.

However, to give you a primer, the Shinden was an indigenous Japanese fighter aircraft design from WWII. At the time, England, America, Germany and Japan were experimenting with "pusher" type designs - mounting the engine in the back of the aircraft instead of the front.

Two were built - one flew before the end of the war (there's a movie of the Shinden's first flight floating around the web, btw).

As you can imagine, such a radical departure from traditional aircraft design met with many challenges. One such challenge was that the propeller was initially designed too close to the ground - the first Shinden damaged its propeller when it attempted to climb off the tarmac.

You can learn more about the Shinden at:

One Shinden survives in the Smithsonian collection.