Trolley bus in H0?

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
TEP 60 said:
Are operational trolley buses and/or trolley bus overhead ever produced in H0?

2 summers ago i found one in an obscure hobby shop here in NJ. i think they sold it by now, because i haven't seen it. it had 2 busses with some catenary and a transformer for it.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Back in the 60s and 70s there was a company called Brawa that put out a trackless trolley bus complete with overhead and accessories for expansion. Not made for a long time now, you find them on Ebay from time to time for $100 or more depending on condition.

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
shaygetz said:
Back in the 60s and 70s there was a company called Brawa that put out a trackless trolley bus complete with overhead and accessories for expansion. Not made for a long time now, you find them on Ebay from time to time for $100 or more depending on condition.

yeah that sounds alot like what i found. i thought i should have bought it, but instead got a P2k UP SD7

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I have a basic Eheim set. The busses had the trolley poles at the front of the bus, linked directly to the front wheels for steering.
I think there were 2 series of overhead - one was a flat strip, the other round wire. The switches and crossings had huge housings on them -- very out of scale. The trolley shoes were also out of scale, but operational.
The think would whizz around the wire like mad.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
TEP 60 said:
What is produced now on this topic?

I think David pretty much spelled out why they aren't made any more. The demand for scale fidelity is such that there is no market for something with grossly oversized shoes on the poles and unrealistic wires overhead. I remember they were just shy of subsonic as they cruised around the wire. Your only bet would be to hunt them down on Ebay or kibbitz something together using Faller's wire guided buses and a dummy overhead system.

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
A "trackless trolley" is a bus powered by electric overhead. The Eheim/Brawa kits are cute but oversized for HO (the buses themselves slightly so, the poles and overhead grossly so.) Nobody produces a to-scale version. I suppose that one could modify a Faller Car System bus to a "trackless trolley" system by stringing overhead wire and sticking a trolley pole on the roof--make sure your Faller system runs closely under the overhead, and there you go.

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site

Harold Cole

Feb 15, 2006
Clayton Delaware
jetrock said:
A "trackless trolley" is a bus powered by electric overhead. The Eheim/Brawa kits are cute but oversized for HO (the buses themselves slightly so, the poles and overhead grossly so.) Nobody produces a to-scale version. I suppose that one could modify a Faller Car System bus to a "trackless trolley" system by stringing overhead wire and sticking a trolley pole on the roof--make sure your Faller system runs closely under the overhead, and there you go.
I didn't know if Faller made a Trolley or not,just thought i would throw that out there.There is sooooo much talent in this Forum,that someone might come up with a way to Kit bash a Faller bus or something.