trip to Tucson

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
on our road trip to tucson (by the way the Ace hardware store is a great model shop :D ) we drove on I8 which runs next to the old SP main for about 1/2 the trip found a few old water tanks still standing, the first one is at Sentinel was used to fill water trucks for the feed yard behind it in the pic. but not anymore.

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 47

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
the next water tank is in Gila bend it a larger tank note the interesting thing in the second pic looks like the steel shell was just a form and the real tank was concrete.any one know if this was a standard practice?

Attachments

• tank 2.jpg
    tank 2.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 47
  • tank 3.jpg
    tank 3.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 47

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
the third tank is also a larger one at Rillito across from the Arizona Portland Co. missed another smaller one at Red Rocks.

Attachments

• tank4.jpg
    tank4.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 45

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
Ok, I believe it was Standard Practice, because in most of the photos I've seen of watwer towers, espically along the coast line out here, they had A LOT of support, indication that it was more weight than just water. The steel casing makes sense, as it could heat up and cool down MUCH faster than the concrete ever could, and therefore keep the water reasonably cold, eSPically out in That HOT desert!

(Also might cut down on maintenence cost, as well as metal corrosion, do you really want a 60,000 gallon water tank leak due to weakened, corroded metal, out in the DESERT? ;)

There you go! :)