Trip to Europe

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
In Sep/Oct I will be traveling with my better half to Prague, Budapest, Croatia, Florence and Munich. All travel except getting there and home and the ferry trip across from Croatia to Italy will be by TRAIN!!

Anything special I ought to be looking for regarding the trains, in the way of photo ops, other than the usual tourist stuff?

Bob

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
Thanks Jesper. I too think it will be a great trip. The other couples we travel withalso enjoy the train, so I had the opportunity to do some other train travel in New Zealand, Australia and the UK. I lived in Germany years ago and did a lot of train travel in those days too. I figure that during the course of the entire trip we will be on the trains for a total of about 30 hours, and the way I have set up the schedule it is all during daylight, so there ought to be some spectacular scenery along the way.

jkristia

Aug 1, 2002
Simi Valley, CA,
Visit site
I sure would like to drive through Austria and northern Italy by train. 25 years ago when I was a small kid in Denmark, my family vacationed in Austria many times, always in the Kuffstein/Innsbruck area, and I just fell in love with the Alps. I have promised my wife next time we go 'home' to visit my old mom (in Denmark) we will spend 2 weeks in Italy/Austria and maybe England, maybe I can even convince her to go by train :)/

Remember to post some pictures when you get back, maybe you will even get a chance to take some pictures in Kuffstein or Innsbruck

Jesper

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
As we travel north from Florence to the Munich area we will go through Innsbruck. It will be 30 years since I was last there for the 1976 Winter Olympics. We lived in Munich at the time so it was a relatively short train ride to Innsbruck for us. We are actually going to spend a couple of days at Bad Reichenhall, Germany, very near Salzburg, Austria and Berchesgarten, Germany. We have friends there who we also haven't seen for 30 years.

Should be a great trip.

Bob

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Excellent Bob! Sounds like a great trip. Photos are a must!!!! My wife and I will be in Italy the first two weeks of October, mostly in the Tuscany region but we plan to take the train from Florence to Pisa and perhaps from Florence to Venice. Your Alpine scenary will be more breathtaking but I'll take some pics of what I see on the rails.
Ralph

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
I am in the process now of trying to decide on a replacement for my very old first generation digital camera. Have my eye on a Kodak EasyShare 6490, which has a 10X zoom that I think would be great to have. I'm just not certain I have the PC with the power to support the software. I'm checking.

Bob

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
We also have our fingers crossed as we leave for Praha in less than 3 weeks. The only area where we will be that might be of some concern is southern Bavaria, but it will be more than 6 weeks before we arrive in that area and hopefully things will improve. Bob

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
camera

Bob, you haven't said if you got that Kodak 6490 or not. I've got one and I love it. The only problem with the 10X zoom is you have to be really stedy. The dock is really nice to keep batteries charged, but it is just as easy to use a reader or plug the camera directly into the computer.

Lynn

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
I have not gotten the camera. Time has just slipped away from me and there have been other priorities. I'll limp along with my Kodak DC 210 which has actually given me excellent service. I'll put the 6490 on my wish list!!

Bob

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Bob, I hope that this will be a very interesting and beautiful trip for you.

The only area where we will be that might be of some concern is southern Bavaria...
After extreme spells of rain and thunderstorms we had major floods and landslides throughout the Alps. The catastrophe hit Switzerland, Austria (Tyrol) and Southern Germany (Bavaria). All in all, in many villages in the Alpine valleys thousands of houses were destroyed. But you can relax - although in certain places the damages still are very visible, almost all traffic lines (road and rail) have been repaired. The international lines are all open again, so your trip will not be disturbed.

However, on your RR trip through the Alps (Florence - Brenner pass - Innsbruck - Salzburg - Munich) probably you will note some fresh scars along the mountain slopes. Well, that's another way of 'Mother nature' to show us, who's the real boss on this globe!

But you're really in for a beautiful rail trip. I don't know the Czech and Croatian railroads, but I know by experience that the international passenger trains of the the other countries (Italy, Austria, Germany) are great to ride. You also made an excellent selection of some very beautiful cities to visit. Enjoy your stay in merry ol'Europe!

Ron

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
Ron;

Needless to say we are excited about the trip. We depart one week from today on the adventure. I get the impression from our Croatian Rotarian hosts that we will also have the "opportunity" to travel on a number of ferries as we move down the Croatian coast from Pula to Dubrovnik and then to Ancona, Italy. I agree, all in all, a great trip.

I lived in Munich 30 years ago, so am looking forward to returning for a day or two to look around.

I'll try to get a few "train" pictures to post here when I return.

Bob