Trinity RD-4 Hoppers

dean

Jul 9, 2004
Laytonsville, MD
Ok, a friend and I have been looking over the Trinity RD-4 hoppers and we got into a discussion on the proper size of wheels. First off, the Walther's cars appear to have 33" I am saying they should be 36"............thoughts...comments?

I would expect them to be 36 inches on the prototype. Typically, 100 ton cars have 36 inch wheels. But, don't expect Walthers to get it right. Are they plastic wheels? If so, toss 'em and replace 'em with some Intermountain wheels (or JayBee or P2K or Reboxx). My Walthers Bethgons came with plastic 33 inch wheels, but that was years ago.

dean

Jul 9, 2004
Laytonsville, MD
Thanks, that was for a beer bet.......... I replaced the stock Walther's wheelsets on his with the Intermountain 36" and they are some very smooth running cars.

dean

Jul 9, 2004
Laytonsville, MD
I used the stock 36" Intermountain wheelsets. I did see that Intermountain is offering wheelsets with ball bearing axles....anyone use these yet and if so can you provide a performance report?

Dave Plummer

Jul 7, 2004
They're overkill in my opinion. Bore out those Walthers trucks with "the tool" and the regular wheelsets work beautifully.

Dave

atsfman

May 12, 2004
Kansas City,KS
home.kc.rr.com
Hey Dean, take a look on TrainOrders forum if you can. Harry Wong has posted photos from the NMRA trainshow, and includes several shots of the Atlas SD26 in Santa Fe. Full detail including cab air, etc. These are the ones due in the winter with three versions, DC, DCC, DCC with sound. They would look good on the Emporia sub. I have two on order with sound. My diesel fleet is suddenly backdating on me, I have no control.

Bob

dean

Jul 9, 2004
Laytonsville, MD
Bob, lead me not unto temptation I shall find that path myself (ROFL). And if you ask my wife she swears I have a first class ticket to the MRR temptation.

I just dropped an order with the LHS on four of the SD26's........:thumb: :D .
From the pics they sure do look nice!