Trestle construction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic

ANDY...BIG PAPER BAG!!

Hey Andy, I knew somebody would ask.....But for the sake of being nice I won't specifically say..... Let's just say that's its full of "male bovine elimination" or in Latin "Tarrus Feces" that has collected up over the years!!! :D :D :D :p :p :eek:

Drew1125

Ok, I gotta wade into this one too...
First of all, I found nothing offensive in the original post, either. It was simply a modeler handing out what he deemed to be good advice...that's what we're here for.
However, I was a bit miffed when said modeler comes back with the insinuation that some of the members photos had been "spoiled" by what he judged to be poor quality modeling, & that some members were here for "disciple" worship, & "compliment fixes".
One thing I've always enjoyed about The Gauge is that it is friendly, & it is fun. And that's exactly what our hobby should be.
We've got some people on here whose talents are such, that their models are virtually indestinguishable from the prototype, & there are others among us who are still struggling to get those pieces of sectional track together. (and I'll be the first to admit that I consider myself closer to the latter)
But regardless of skill level, all of them deserve our encouragement, praise, & yes, critisism, which can be offered in a friendly manner.
There's a big difference between poking fun, & hurling insults.
That said, I'm overdue for my "compliment fix"! :D
Here's a pic of an N scale "trestle" (I use the term loosely) I built several years ago...I laid rthat big ugly Atlas track over a deck made of ties stripped off of HO flextrack. The "bents" are plastic ones from an old HO train set. The "water" is just wood painted blue! I never thought this worthy of posting...till now! :)
She wasn't a beauty, but she did her job well!

Attachments

• mvc-020f.jpg
    mvc-020f.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 130

shamus

Registered Member
Hey Charlie, I like the trestle very much. At first glance at your photo, I thought that you had started a roundhouse, and were putting tracks in at a later time, silly me, I hadn't read your report about the blue water:D

You know what Charlie,

It was photos like yours with timber built bridges that made give up European outline stuff and go for USA outline. No, I'm not gonna forgive you for holding out on me that bridge scene (less'n you buy me a beer!) :D .
Hey!, I saw the prototype for that bridge near Cripple Creek CO, just that the prototype used smaller headed spikes in the rail :D .

Is that the Bachmann loco I had spied in an earlier glass plate photo of yours? .... it sure looks good in colour. My kinda theme, luvs it!
Oh, almost forgot! it should be two beers, one for forgiveness and the other for this "Compliment Fix" :D :D .

Errol

Drew1125

Thanks guys!
You both "fixed" me up nicely! ;)
Two pints o' stout far th' chap from th' narth country! :D
btw, Shamus...you can count me as "one of the 12"! :D

bobrien

Hey Vic - you sure that isn't s'posed to be "Taurus Faeces" ?? :D

And Charlie, regardless of your own 'critiscism' of your trestle , it far exceeds anything I could possibly hope to do in say, about the next 10 years :)

bobrien

btw Charlie - if you're handing out booze for compliments, it is really, absolutely the most fantastic and authentic looking piece of work I have personally seen for some time... :D

So I'll have a Jack on the rocks thanks very much ;)

Vic

BobBrien....Never said I cud spill!!!! HA!:D

Charlie.....Here, have another shot of compliment!!! I like the blue water and the bridge. How about a pic of the roundhouse in the background?

Mike R

ADMIN: Flame Deleted

Dave Hagan

Tyson Rayles

For the record I'm a great admirer of the late John Allen but he doesn't make a good example for realilistic bridges. He admitted himself that in real life some of them probably couldn't stand up under their own weight, who cares they looked fantastic! As far as Mike R goes I can only assume (since he never posted pics of one of his own superb trestles) that he has never built a trestle or a layout in his life, but gets his jollies critizing other peoples work knowing they can't criticize what he doesn't and never will have. I for one hope the door doesn't hit him in the ass on the way out. :p

Vic

Parting Shot!!

AMEN BROTHER TYSON AMEN!!!:D :D :D

Now if the congreation will please turn in their songbooks to....HA HA!!:D :D :D :D

Tyson Rayles

Your welcome Brother Vic. Now fellow members of the Gauge that we have finished with our song books it's time to pass the collection plate! Please make all checks payable to the Gauge, this money will be used to buy more sever space to make up for all the space that has been wasted with photos of our (mine) inferior modeling efforts! :D :D :D :D

Drew1125

Aw, c'mon, Tyson...
Let's not be too hard on the boy...
I've run into so many model RR's like Mike over the years...they just take evrything too seriously.
Sometimes I get the feeling that a lot of them lose sight of the fact that the word "model" comes before "railroad".
Whether we're blessed with talents like those of Shamus, & Pete, or we're just starting out with a loop of track, & a train set, we're all striving for the same thing in the end...we're trying to approximate some reality...some vision that we have in our head, & regardless of our level of talent, &/or skill, if we can look at what we've done, & say, "hey, I like that", & if we can show it to other people, & they say, "that's great!", or even, "that's great, but have you thought of trying...", then maybe we can boost the spirits of a fellow human being, & help them forget about that mortgage payment for a few hours, or that upcoming visit to the doctor, or any of the countless other stresses that daily life imposes on all of us.
This hobby (& this forum) is a retreat, & a sanctuary for me, & I don't want to see anyone driven away from it.
So if you're still there Mike R, please stick around, & I'm sure that there are things that you can offer that we can all learn from...but remember that street runs both ways!

Tyson Rayles

Charlie I have always had a pet peeve about people (this apllies to anything not just model railroading) who have never even tried much less accomplished anything, instead spending their time trying to tear down those that do. In reality I feel sorry for Mike R and those that are like him. With an outlook like that they have to have had a miserable life and it's not going to get any better! While I think you make a valid point, in his case "taking things to seriously" was not the case, he got on here to cause trouble and nothing more. Just my humble opinion of course and does not reflect the views of managment or fellow members. :D

I thought that we were are to have fun as in injoy each others layouts and to learn from each other and as far as i go all you guys have great layouts and I have learn a lot from all of you
still having fun
:p rich:p
ps will be starting mine in the next couple of weeks:rolleyes:

Vic

Hi Rich, I read The Gauge for a long time before I joined. Quite frankly I dropped off all the other model railroad boards simply because there was no humor or fun in them.

Sooo....the fun's just begining....:D :D for me. This is a great bunch of folks here. What happened on this thread is a rare occurence indeed:D

Post some pics of the progress on your new layout. We'll be looking forward to seeing them.:)

Tyson Rayles

Rich you are correct, we are here to have fun (and hopefully learn some new tricks) which is why I got ticked off with Mike R. Dave did the right thing and deleted his last post. No longer than it was there Vic and I may have been the only ones that saw it (which is a good thing), but for those that didn't then its hard to know where I'm coming from. That said, enough said. I'm looking forward to pics of your layout, please keep us posted.:D

Drew1125

Tyson,
I appologize if I was talking out of school...I didn't see the deleted post.
Rich, & Vic, we ARE here to have fun, & I LOVE to look at EVERYBODY"S layouts!
And I also enjoy the sense of humor that permeates this forum...
(I' know what you mean, Vic...I've been on some forums where I felt like I needed to straighten up my tie, & put on some tight, squeaky shoes! :D )
My Grandaddy had a great saying..."If you can't see things with a sense of humor, then you really aint got no sense at all!"

Tyson Rayles

Charlie my friend, no apology needed. :D How bout we let this thread die? Think I'll go see what's new in the S&B forum. Have fun guys. :D :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.