trestle bridge barrels ?

fran1942

Hello, I am wanting to decorate my trestle bridge, and I noticed some other people have built on small platforms that extend from the edges of their trestles. Some hold barrels (see pic attached).
What exactly are they for ? (fire emergency water?)
How commonly were these small platforms found on trestle bridges ?
Would they fit with US west coast 1910 OK ?

Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• barrel.jpg
    barrel.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 210

shaygetz

They were required on every wooden bridge over 50 feet long with an additional barrel every 150 feet, i.e. a 200 foot bridge would have 2 barrels.

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Mine are based on The D&RGW :) So "water" barrels work... out west in the US :) :) :)

005.jpg

zedob

Big question, who filled them? did the MOW crews carry extra water with them and top the barrels off, or did they rely on the weather?

Clerk

I am just going by what I saw on a trestle outside of Bellingham, Wa. I was about 10 or 12 years old and two cousins and I walked across this trestle and looked into 2 barrels and they were full of sand:rolleyes:

ezdays

Out AZ way
Clerk said:
I am just going by what I saw on a trestle outside of Bellingham, Wa. I was about 10 or 12 years old and two cousins and I walked across this trestle and looked into 2 barrels and they were full of sand:rolleyes:
Hey, I got an idea, just put a lid on the barrel and it can be full of whatever you want it to be...:D :D

I don't know about you guys, but the barrel on the BAD Western trestle is going to be filled with one of the young ladies from the local saloon cooling off on a summer afternoon.
Doc

Russ Bellinis

I wonder how effective a barrel of water or sand was in stopping a fire started on a wood trestle built with wood treated with creosote?