Trestle bent

Dragon

Nov 13, 2003
Western NY
www.dragonmnt.com
ok...the scratchbuilt climax is on hold while I try to relocate the parts I was going to use for the trucks.

In the mean time, I decided to start practicing building a trestle.
I got some hardwood dowels from the local Chase Pitkin (cleaned them right out!) and stained them with Minwax Red Mahogany (#225).

Cut to fit, touch up the trimmed ends with a Minwax Red Oak stain stick a voila!

http://www.frontiernet.net/~blkbear/Trains/DCP_1251.JPG

I didn't imbed the pic cause it is LARGE and I'm being nice to the dialup folks.

To the right of the trestle bent is another I'm building out of a smaller balsa dowel stained with a Minwax Dark Walnut stain stick (those things are handy!).

The bigger trestle is going to be for the On30 stuff. The top cap is roughly 1' square in O-scale, and the logs making up the legs are roughly 9" around.

I'm using a jig from the Midwest Products Co. Canyon City Trestle kit. though the kit is HO scale, it works in On30 as well.

if people are interested, I can take some piece-by-piece pics when I make the next one.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
It looks good in the pic. The one question I have is regarding texture. Dowels are very smooth. The poles in a trestle bent will be creosoted rough wood like a telephone pole. If you don't rough up the texture of your dowels before staining and building, they will look too smooth. If you take a razor saw like the Atlas Snap Saw to the doweling and just slide it up and down the dowel length wise it will rough up the edges and give you some bark detail before you stain. As I said, you may have done this and it doesn't show up in the pics, but I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents just in case.